I'd like to extend the signup fields in Communities so that

I'd like to extend the signup fields in Communities so that they are required to enter a location (country, state, city). I'd also need to customize search so that a user can find a Community by these locations. I am okay doing the custom dev but is there a clean way for me to do this so that my work doesn't get overwritten when I get a Communities update from WPMUDEV?

Finally, is there an easy way for me to change all text references to "communities" and "community" to "clubs" and "club"? Our implementation would like our users to see that term instead of community. I've tried going throuh and manually changing the text but again am concerned my work will get overwritten with an update.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @s3rg3

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

I'd like to extend the signup fields in Communities so that they are required to enter a location (country, state, city). I'd also need to customize search so that a user can find a Community by these locations. I am okay doing the custom dev but is there a clean way for me to do this so that my work doesn't get overwritten when I get a Communities update from WPMUDEV?

I'm afraid this as you know will require custom coding, and I'm afraid currently the changes would be overwritten on an update :slight_frown: There is no clean way to do this that won't get overwritten on an update, which I'm afraid is the standard WordPress way.

Finally, is there an easy way for me to change all text references to "communities" and "community" to "clubs" and "club"? Our implementation would like our users to see that term instead of community. I've tried going throuh and manually changing the text but again am concerned my work will get overwritten with an update.

The best way to do that would be to change it in the languages folder using a tool such as poedit or to even create new language folders :slight_smile: http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.