I'd like to switch from the Genesis theme "Foodie"

Hello,

I write the blog Sabzi. I’m currently using the Foodie Child Theme in the Genesis framework. I’m not sure that I like it. The top of my page seems really bland to me, and I hate that I don’t have a single column going down – the way the previous posts are tiled looks bad, I think. I want something simpler. It took me a lot of time to set up Foodie, and I had to contact the theme’s support a lot.

I do like the Genesis theme “Minny,” but it seems to mess up a lot of things on my page. I know that you are probably not the people to contact about this, but I’m not sure where to turn, to figure out how to make my site just look clean and simple, and to be able to easily add things to the side bar.

Here are examples of a layout that I like. I know it’s blogspot, but can you recommend anything simple like that? And also, is it possible to transfer (for example) my custom logo over to a theme like Minny? Thanks for any and all pointers.

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @sara,

Thank you for your question.

I don’t any exact theme that looks like the websites you have shared.

You can search and find the similar theme on the following sites.

https://wordpress.org/themes/

https://premium.wpmudev.org/projects/category/themes/

http://presscastle.com/

If the theme you have found provides custom logo theme option then you can set your existing logo there or use any plugin or develop custom code for it.

Please advise if you have more questions.

Kind Regards,

VInod Dalvi

• Dr_Scythe
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Sara,

Minny from Genesis is quite a capable theme. What I’d recommend is (maybe on a test wordpress install) is set up Minny from scratch following the genesis setup instructions and load their dummy content.

Once your local install matches the demo from Genesis just start swapping page elements out for your sites content.

I find this process easier as you can tackle things one by one rather than being overwhelmed when you see all the things broken from swapping your live site onto another theme.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hey @dr_scythe,

That’s awesome advice! I’ve used themes from Elegant Themes in the past, loaded up the demo content and was able to get everything nicely configured because of the extra content. It just helps to see how things look with a bit of content to start with. Plus, starting from scratch with plugins deactivated generally helps a lot in these cases.

@sara, from what I see, you’ve already gotten some content added and it actually looks quite like the link you referenced.

Was there something in particular that you wanted to look different? Maybe your sidebar links or widgets? Or maybe you wanted the header image a bit smaller?

Or if you’d like to get rid of the navigation menu, you could use the following:

nav.nav-primary {
    display: none;
    }

That could be added to the theme’s style.css file (best done using a child theme) or using a plugin like this: https://wordpress.org/plugins/imporved-simpler-css/

Just let us know how we can assist, we’ll gladly help out. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

David

• Sara
    • New Recruit

Hi David,

Do you mean that things look okay on sabziblog.com? The thing that I want to look different is how on the home page, the previous posts are tiled, beside each other. I’d like it to be just one single straight column going down, with all the previous posts the same size as the most recent post, if that makes sense?

Thanks,

Sara

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi, Sara!

It looks like your tiled posts are part of a widget. Do you have a featured posts widget on your front page?

Also, are you using a static front page or a page of recent blog posts? I think you may be doing the former, which means it’s an easy fix.

Go to Settings > General, and make sure the front page of your blog is set up to show your most recent posts, NOT as a static front page.

Hope this helps!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.