If a WPMUDev plugin doesn't say it's buddypress compatible, is it?

The description to the blogs dir plugin says "This plugin provides a paginated, fully search-able, avatar inclusive, automatic and rather good looking directory of all of the blogs on your WordPress Multisite or BuddyPress installation."

However, in the compatibility notes, it says "Works perfectly with WordPress Multisite 3.3.2" and says nothing about BuddyPress.

In general, are most plugins going to be compatible with BP even if they don't say it, like this one? Or if I decide to use BP, does that mean that I will prevent myself from being able to use some of these plugins?

• PC

Heya Warpedmind,

Greetings,

Of all what I have tried, I found them compatible with BuddyPress and there were no compatibility issues of not being able to be used with BP.
    I have also noticed that several of the plugins that are listed as Multisite compatible are not listed under Buddypress compatible but that they actually are compatible with it and work fine.

as @Aaron Quoted : The only ones you might run into issues with are ones that modify the signup, like password or no email activation.

However, there is also a tab which you have already seen stating the compatibility with part...
    So I would highly recommend that whenever you try any of such plugins which do not have compatible with buddypress listed against them, take a backup of your website so that if they mess up, we can restore :slight_smile:

I hope it helps

Cheers
    PC

• Paul

Buddypress automatically creates a page to display a blog directory on the network - so that makes the blogs directory plugin kinda inferior if buddypress is installed/enabled - the plugin could've been designed before buddypress included this /blogs directory and the author on wpmudev may have forgot to edit the plugin information on the download page. Some don't use buddypress, so they'll need the blogs directory plugin to display a listing.

While buddypress enabled, the blogs directory listing can be found at the following:
    thisnetwork.com/blogs

May also want to checkout:
    thisnetwork.com/blogs/create

If users are logged in and click the register page to create another blog they'll be redirected to the front page of the website. The 'blogs/create' page allows the user to create more blogs on his/her account in a fashionable buddypress-themed manner.

Generally, if a plugin doesn't say Buddypress compatible, it means that the plugin doesn't coincide with buddypress features but can still be ran along side. The plugin may not work with specific functions that come with buddypress.

IE: buddypress has the activity feed - the plugin may not update the activity feed with new activity made by the plugin, but the plugin still functions normally.

• aecnu

Greetings Everyone,

We do not support pluggin's used for a purpose that we have not designated them for.

With that said, everyone here have great valid points and some points are more true to the mark then others and we thank you all for your portion of your observations and feedback.

This particular plugin is as warpedmind mentioned designated for MultiSite only, and therefore I would not recommend using it though it may in fact work or produce undesired effects or be repetitive tasks depending upon the configuration as yougru mentioned.

Thank you all for being WPMU Dev Members!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings warpedmind,

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.