If Branding is Network activated, can you please allow us to activate select subsites to control?

Hey all,

RE: Branding plugin by WPMUDEV (network activated).

***By the way, I know we can activate it individually one by one now but that is not ideal either really (network activated with the ability to allow subsites to overide would be a better option I believe . . . that could be enabled at the super admin level to allow a particular subsite to do the below "by manually enabling a subsite approval to overide and/or activated as a prosite option . . . both should be a part

If Branding is Network activated, can you please allow us to activate select subsites to control there own on their end? There could be a "enable" function (or even allow the Branding function to work with Pro Sites too).

A BIG PROBLEM, is that with Branding Network activated, ALL emails from all subsites are sent as if it is FROM the primary site on the Network Multisite (NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS).

Can we please do this to allow subsites to control their own Branding if this is Network activated?

I think retaining the ability to leave it Network Activated is good so that the default is set to be as it is, but allow each subsite to do there own branding if they want to override the default. The biggest issues I have seen, currently, is that all emails are being sent from the primary Network site (name and actual primary email address of the primary Multisite subsite). This cause a lot of confusion.

Please let me know your thoughts.

:slight_smile:

• Tyler Postle

Hey Greg,

I think the option of allowing certain subsites to overwrite the network wide branding options is a good idea as well. With some features we have started going in that direction, such as favicons, we now allow subsite specific favicons instead of just 1 that is given to all sites in the network.

I'll be keeping an eye out for more requests for this, I can think of a few past tickets where something like this could of been a good solution. I'm not a developer so not sure how much development time this would require but the more members that request it the more likely it is to be pushed up in the feature request queue. Thanks for sharing your feedback!

If you have any further questions on this or anything else to add just reply back here.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Greg

@Tyler Postle

Do you think that, like your GA plugin, we can do the same with Branding for multisites? In other words, all subsites adopt the default branding OR no branding at all? And the admin of the subsite could be allowed to overight for there own branding.

One of the biggest problems is the if branding is on, then all subsite outgoing email is email from the primary multisite domain and NOT the subsite domain. At least, can this be fixed on a per site basis now somehow?

Idea:

Branding Options in super admin dashboard area . . .

1. Make all subsites adopt the default branding (which this does now).
      2. Be able to select individually or in bulk domains (subsites) to NOT have branding active at all.
      3. Allow for subsite admins to overwrite branding with their own (this could be turned on or off by super admin as overall default or on specific subsites individually or with a bulk select to determine which can and can not do it). Being able to select specific features with the Branding plugin to turn of or on by default or manual provisioning by the super admin would be nice by not required out of the box immediately (but would be nice).
      4. Have to fix the email situation as emails come from from the primary domain on the multisite to subsite users (which causes a lot of confusion for the subsite users UNLESS you are running a certain type of business model only like selling branded sub-blogs or sites pushing the primary domain branding which is not the case it many other network setups . . . i.e. just setting up a site on the network for a client independently).

Please let me know you thoughts on this . . .

Can we get this down the field with the developers of the WPMUDEV Branding plugin for multisite?

• Tyler Postle

Hey there Greg,

My site is sending emails with the "from: " as my admin email address even without Ultimate Branding active. Did your site use to send with the "from" email address with each subsites subdomain in it?

You could use this plugin and define the email for each site: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-change-default-email/ - you would need to site by site activate it in this case.

As for your above suggestions, thanks for sharing those :slight_smile: I'll pass them along to the developer. I think they would all be possible, but it still comes down to how many users request it.

Any further questions just let me know!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Greg

@Anang

+1 one for a stock plugin fix with Ultimate Branding on these things (per your link).

Not at all. I welcome all input anytime. Your link, I think, is on target.

Thank you. I am testing it!!!

I hope it works (I am testing https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/two-problems-with-ultimate-branding-and-pro-sites#post-912237 and changed the email and name in it). I am putting it in the primary website child theme functions.php.

I believe that is the current bottom line after reading it.

Let me know if I am wrong.

• Greg

@Tyler Postle

They could be anything really. All emails from a subsite should show always from that subsite domain, email address, and name (NOT the multisite network primary site domain, address, and name).

For example, auto emails from Membership 2 Pro OR new user notifications OR any subsite system notices, any emails from Wordpress or WP plugins from a subsite should be from its own domain, email address, and name.

Does that help clear it up?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Greg,

The code @Ashok added in the other thread seems to work fine for me. It pulls the admin email for the "from" email on the subsites. I tested by doing a purchase with MarketPress.

Did you add it as an mu-plugin? That will ensure it applies to all sites.

I've attached the file I used, just unzip and upload the file to /wp-content/mu-plugins/

This way your subsite admins can define the email yourself. As for the "from" server, that is really more up to your sending server. It will list whichever server the mail is sent from, this can only be changed by changing the sending server - you can ask your web host about your options in that regard :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Greg

@Tyler Postle

No. I did not actually. I put it in the child them functions.php

I just deleted it though.

I will try this mu-plugin now . . . thanks for sending!!!

If this feature is added in the future, will I need to remove this so it does not conflict? Can the dev team please be sure to add a special note for people to remove any potential conflicting mu-plugins if they every incorporate a fix or feature update in the actual Branding plugin to accommodate all this regarding emails (if it will conflict)?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Greg,

I've messaged the developer about the possibility of adding per subsite email options into Ultimate Branding. As I initially mentioned, I do think it's a great idea :slight_smile:

This doesn't mean it will for sure happen, but hopefully might make it more of a priority as far as features go.

In the meantime, I'm surprised that mu-plugin didn't work at all since it's working for me.

Would you mind sending me your FTP and wp-admin so I can have a closer look?

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

**If you keep support access active then no need to send in wp-admin

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Greg

@Tyler Postle

I sent you the info per your last post earlier today. Did you receive it?

***Update: I am getting subsite clients complaining more about emails from their subsite coming from (name and domain and email) our primary site just FYI instead of their subsite domain info. I may have to just turn Branding totally off soon so subsites can reliable send their own email (I have tested that before and it works when Branding is just totally off fyi). I don't want to but I may have to.

But, I will wait until I hear back from you first so you can look at it before I turn Branding totally off.

Greg

• Greg

@Tyler Postle

I have found a good bit of info regarding both admin branding and membership 2 pro. I think this could be useful info (just login via wpmudev dashboard and then go to the primary site under):

http://primarysite.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=sucuriscan_infosys#error-logs

There are a lot of references to the Branding and Membership 2 Pro plugins.

Maybe this will help some.

Let me know you received this, the above post, and the secure email with FTP etc.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Greg,

Thanks for sending that in, sorry about the delay here. I've been testing this out and I think the reason the code above wasn't working for you was because you still had the "Email From" module of Ultimate Branding active. Disable that module then add Ash's code and you should see that each site will use the "admin email" in the general settings for the "from" email.

As for automatically adding the subdomain into the "from" email - that is what we've marked as a feature request for the "email from" Ultimate Branding module. As you saw you can only list one email address right now, but hopefully in the future we will add in the ability to define others.

The best workaround in the meantime is to use Ash's code which uses the admin email of each site in the "from field" or just turn off the "from email" option altogether and have WordPress use it's default email that will include the subdomain for each site.

If you would like, I can setup Ash's code for you and turn off the "email from" module. To make sure it's working properly. Just not sure if you are okay with me turning that module off.

I have found a good bit of info regarding both admin branding and membership 2 pro. I think this could be useful info (just login via wpmudev dashboard and then go to the primary site under):

Admin Branding isn't one of our plugins. https://wordpress.org/plugins/admin-branding/

Looks like it was last updated in 2014, so that might be why you are seeing errors there for that. As for M2, it doesn't look like it's happened recently - possibly since updating. I'm not seeing the errors on my site so I'm thinking it was fixed in the last update :slight_smile: if you do see it again though then let us know.

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Greg

@Tyler Postle

I disabled the "email from" module in Branding and then enable the mu-plugin by Ash. But, I am still getting some emails from "Wordpress" but some email are also finally working from the subsites too (name and email address . . . so that part is goo).

So . . . I was wondering:

1. Could you take a peek at the mu-plugin and let me know if it is working right (since I am still getting some, no all, but some emails now from "Wordpress" in the name).

2. If you could comment and take a look at this I would be very grateful. I have not been able to have or see M2P be able to send any automated emails at all for a long time. Here is more info:

When folks signup they are not getting the automated emails etc. For example, the Signup - Completed . . . (attached) people are not getting after a successful signup of a plan. This can be tested on the FREE plan here:

http://bit.ly/1Lv4vav

***I really do not think any of the automated emails in M2P are working at all FYI.

Thanks Tyler!!!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Greg,

1. Could you take a peek at the mu-plugin and let me know if it is working right (since I am still getting some, no all, but some emails now from "Wordpress" in the name).

Far as I can tell it should be working. Which emails are still sending from "wordpress"? Is it only certain subsites?

When folks signup they are not getting the automated emails etc. For example, the Signup - Completed . . . (attached) people are not getting after a successful signup of a plan. This can be tested on the FREE plan here:

The one you have set "Sign up - completed with payment" will only send when it's a paid membership. In your case you want to activate the "Additional automated messages" add-on. Then you will see a new "sign up - completed (free)" option. Activate that one and it will send when signing up for the free memberships :slight_smile:

With that said, I did notice that you have a lot of emails queued(see screenshot), your wp cron might not be triggering properly. Can you try running that now, it will send out all 50+ of those queued emails. You can find that area at the bottom of your Membership 2 > Settings page.

Then see if it just keeps building up again without sending out emails at the specified trigger time.

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Greg

Hey,

The ones I can see now are from plugins like Securi or Wordfence showing the name "Wordpress". Same site as a example you were working on . . .

I will try the add on for other auto emails (it use to work but just stopped so that may be why if that was changed under the hood on how it is done for free ones). I will test a paid one too then. Thanks.

Well, I have done that many times and the numbers never flush out. Those have been in there for a long time (months). Also, now, I really prefer now to send those out cause I have no clue what they actually are and people will likely getvconfusing emails or outdated irrelevant stuff. Nevertheless, the will now clear anyway even after trying.

How can I just manually delete and remove them totally? The must reside somewhere that can be done?

*** sent by mobile device . . .

• Tyler Postle

Hey Greg,

I just tried out the wordfence plugin my site and I'm receiving the emails from default wordpress@ as well, this is most likely because they aren't coming from a specific site and instead from network admin. Only you will see these emails :slight_smile:

As for the M2 emails, do you have this line in your wp-config.php by any chance?

define( "MS_STOP_EMAILS", true );

That would stop emails from going out. Although it should still reduce the queue. I checked the FTP you sent in; however, it looks like it restricts me to the /wp-content/ folder so I'm not able to check your wp-config.php

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Greg

@Tyler Postle

Thanks for getting back . . .

1. Ok. But, some subsites are sending those same notices with the correct name though. Weird. See attached. Some are perfect with both the name and subsite correct (and email from the subsite correct) and some are not. See attached. This happens with both Wordfence, Sucurri, or other type of notices. I know it is to me direct but would still be nice to fix (and really it may be for other things too not yet discovered). What do you think?

2. No, that code is not in the wp-config.php? Should it or should it not?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Greg,

Sorry for the delay. This is odd that you have a mix going on here. I'm not seeing that on my install. Perhaps due to a conflicting solution you have been trying out?

2. No, that code is not in the wp-config.php? Should it or should it not?

You would only want that in there if you didn't want any of the emails going out. As for removing that queue. I'm going to flag one of our SLS staff(coding experts) to make sure we remove the pending emails properly :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.