If I have

If I have a multisite with customers subsites who have mapped domains. How easy would it be to move all their subsites to another multisite on a different domain keeping their websites the same and still keeping their mapped domains

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Peter,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

That's a bit complex but you might give our Snapshot Pro a try. Assuming that you are going to move an existing sub-site from one multisite (let's call it "multi1") to another multisite (let's call it "multi2") a procedure could be like this:

- on "multi1" use Snapshot -> Snapshots (not "Managed Backup"!) to create a full snapshot of the site to be moved
    - download snapshot archive after it's completed
    - on "multi2" upload archive to the "/wp-content/uploads/snapshots" folder and "Snapshot -> Import" it and then on "Snapshot -> Snapshots" hit "restore" for that archive

You would be notified that the backup comes from a different site and you will need to specify a sub-site on "multi2" to which you want to restore it, however it should work I think. Snapshot Pro was not designed for moving sites but it's been used that way with success by some members so it's worth giving a try. Please note however that it would be better to give it a "test drive" first and try to restore into some "staging/dev" Multisite first instead of live Multisite ("multi2") in order to make sure that it really works for you.

A Duplicator plugin should also be of help here but only the Pro (premium) version seems to fully support multisite, unfortunately:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dimitris

Hey there Peter,

hope you're doing good and don't chiming in! :slight_smile:

What about just changing the domian of the multi site keeping all the features it currently has. But also making the main site into a sub site so I can retain the domain for that site and create a new site as the main site with the new domain of the multi site ?

For that you use our Cloner plugin to duplicate your main site in a subsite.
    So your example1.com/ should be duplicated in example1.com/example1/ or example1.example1.com/ subsite, depending your setup.

Then you should be able to change the main domain name of the multisite installation from example1.com to example2.com as described here:
    https://wpengine.com/support/how-to-change-a-multi-site-primary-domain/

For DB changes you can also use the famous Search and Replace for WordPress Databases script as referred in official documentation

Finally, you should use Domain Mapping to map the cloned subsite to the original domain
    Like from example2.com/example1 (or example1.example2.com/) to example1.com/.

Hope that was some help, feel free to post back here if more assistance is required!

Take care,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.