If I press the start building?

Hi

I have installed 3 themes to upfront. Please see attached screendump. I can´t press the live preview on these themes, nothing happends. Also the the message at the top, saying i need to start building, if i press that button. does it activate a theme?

I want to be able to "play" with upfront without activating any theme (yet)

Br Hamid

Ken Kimbrell

Hello Hamid-

That is correct, in order to utilize the upfront interface and upfront builder you must have an upfront theme activated, an alternative would be to play with upfront on an local environment.

I recommend XAMPP , it is the local environment I use and has a bitnami add-on which will allow you to easily set up a local wordpress. You can build themes from your local environment, then download them and install on your live site, once you are satisfied with the results.

Let me know how this works for you!

Take Care,

Ken - WPMU DEV Support

Hamid

Thanks Ken.

I love that idea. And even though i knew there would be some conflicts, i tried it anyway, you see my own laptop is outdated and my PC is down, will purchase a WorkStation soon.

So i am using my company laptop, and by default our IT department has disabled any installation on the laptop unless it is a trusted source from their own 3rd party.

So can we look into how i can utilize the active theme without loosing to much with i switch back to other theme??

I mean, what I noticed is that, my sidebars either is gone or misplaced..

If i switch to an Upfront theme and do a lot of work there and then switch back to my other theme what happendes then?

/Hamid

Ken Kimbrell

Hello Hamid-

If your site is really active, I recommend putting it in maintenance mode VIA an UNDER CONSTRUCTION plugin. I have added one that I like quite a lot that is in the wordpress repository. However there are multiple plugins to choose from. Once in maintenance mode you could then activate an upfront theme and then utilize the upfront interface and save the changes. This will apply to the current theme. Meaning if you didn't like the changes made to the default theme you could decide to reset the theme back to its original design, by going to Upfront > General > RESET THEME: See image below:

If you were to go into builder and edit the theme through builder, keep in mind you are editing core styles and if you try to reset the theme back to its default, it will only reset to the changes previously saved from edits in Builder. I explained the difference in detail through the screen cast I shared.

In theory, you should be able to set maintenance mode, activate an upfront theme, edit in upfront only, make changes, play with the drag and drop interface, save changes, see how it is viewed on the front-end. It will be displayed much like you view it in the upfront editor of course. After you are done, reactivate your theme, remove maintenance mode and you are now a Ninja

Let me know how this works for you!

Take Care,

Ken - WPMU DEV Support