If I was to stop editing in Wordpress and do it

If I was to stop editing in Wordpress and do it in dreamweaver how would I access the appointment + editor?

Also, how do I transition from Wordpress to dreamweaver? Is it as simple as downloading it to DW through FTP?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Mattbkelly

I hope you are well today.

Could you tell me which dreamweaver version you are using please? Just they all have very different ways of being able to connect to a WordPress site.

Also, how do I transition from Wordpress to dreamweaver? Is it as simple as downloading it to DW through FTP?

Dreamweaver is an editor and not a site it's self, as that site has to be hosted somewhere, or did you mean, how do you connect to dreamweaver and then push the updates to your WordPress site?

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Shawn

Matt, DW is a great app for editing HTML - it has a lot of features that make editing static websites easy. But static websites don't use databases and WP stores all the content (posts + pages + metadata like appointments+ information) within the database. Reading your other posts, it sounds like what you really want is to convert your site to a simple static page and use DW to manage it all.

I can't even say how strongly I recommend against this (you lose SO much by going static), BUT if you're dedicated to going that route, I suggest using HTTrack to download a static copy of your site and then you can edit in DW.

• Imperative Ideas

IMO, the best tool around for a WordPress UX designer is JetBrains PHPStorm. Give the 30 day trial a spin.

The trick is that you will need to set up a system like WAMP/MAMP or XAMPP so that you have a webserver residing at Localhost. That is how you really make the most out of a local dev environment since PHPStorm is a live editor (all saving is in real time - it's designed to be paired with version control). Literally, type into the code, refresh the browser, see the update.

Yeah, you can edit => deploy file => refresh page but it's slow by comparison.

Even without going full bore, you'll find the syntax hi-lighting and auto-completion is amazing.

If you want something in the middle that is free, Notepad++ is a gem. When I need to edit a single file that isn't part of a project, it's my go-to editor.

• Tom Eagles

@Mattbkelly

Dreamweaver can work quite nicely with wordpress, what i have done in the past is to start the development on my localhost and do any editing there and then ftp it up to the main site afterwards. The live code view can be quite helpful to new users who want to follow the code as it updates the pages. But as @Imperative Ideas pointed out you would still need to upload the files when done, But if you go to your sites menu you can set up the ftp within dreamweaver and have full version control running.

But just remember you can only edit the php files and css in any editor you couldnt access the app+ admin panel from dreamweaver.

Cheers

• Shawn

If you downloaded your site via FTP, then none of them are "pages" to edit. You can edit the **structure** of your site (the underlying HTML + CSS) by editing the files in the specific theme you were working on. These are located in a subfolder of:
    /wp-content/themes/
    You'll want to play with the style.css file and index.php file most of all.

However, it will NOT include the page or post content. All of that is stored exclusively in the database. There's simply no way (within FTP) to get this data out without "scalping" the site like a browser would. HTTrack is a cross-platform tool designed exactly for this purpose - it'll give you raw HTML + CSS so you can edit to your hearts content directly in DW. But once you upload your content again, you can't use the WP editor anymore, as it will no longer be in sync with the content (and WP only applies to non-existing content anyway).

• Tom Eagles

@Shawn

You are not quite right there the database can be exported from wordpress into a local host environment and its mysql server.and vice versa, obviously any changes do need to be mirrored. Any last minute synching could be done by placing the live site in maintenance mode copying it down making adjustments then re exporting.

I don't know the last version of dreamweaver you tried but creating template files etc. someone wtaching how the pages are built etc on a live mode watchig the code and css at work as it processes can help a lot of new coders.

Over simplification by saying its only good for index.php and css is not even close to the mark.

there are also enough tools to synch databases. granted it won't be fully live but within the constraints mentioned it is indeed feasible.

Creating page templates in dreamweaver allows you to test everything on a local host before messing on a live site, this is one area live code view excels.

cheers

• Shawn

Tom, have you looked at HTTrack? It scalps the site - as the raw HTML + resources (images, CSS, JS and so on) - as they're generated for the *client*. That means that whether you copy the database or not, it will *not* be in sync with the content anymore. The second you edit the file in DW or edit anything at all in WP the other is no longer the same as what you've edited. HTTrack is great for cloning a static site or if you need to switch platforms from Drupal to WP, for example, but all of that actual conversion has to be done client-side since you just have the raw *generated* HTML at that point.

DW (from the first version all the way up to the current version) is not an editor capable of XML-RPC (which is sad, really) so it cannot be used as a CONTENT editor for sites on the WP platform. If Adobe were to change that at some point they'd probably sell a lot more copies, but at this point it's still not possible.

If the OP wanted to preserve WordPress on his site he could not use DW for editing his *content*. At most, he would likely edit his theme (of which, for his purposes the theme files style.css, index.php and functions.php are most important as they reference everything else) and he would lose the functionality WP offers if he went much further.

The OP specifically asked how to preserve the content of his site (App+ specifically) while moving *away* from WP. That's exactly what my responses have offered - even if I think it's a really bad idea.

• Mattbkelly

I don't really know what you are all talking about. Sorry. My experience in dreamweaver is editing a page from my church website that was built in dreamweaver. I just open that page up in design formate and can edit it like a word document save and upload it back to the website via FTP.
    in this website I can't find the folder that contains the website pages to edit them. I guess I should stick with Wordpress but I am having a really hard time figuring out how to edit the content it the website and create links to send it to another page within that site.

• Imperative Ideas

I figured out that might be the case after my first reply. I'll attempt to explain this in simple terms.

WordPress is what we call a dynamic website, vs a static website, which you are familiar with. In a static website you can open up a page and see something like:

<html>
    <head>
    <title>This is my webpage!</title>
    <style src="stylesheet.css">
    </head>
    <body>
    <div class="wrap> <!-- This is the wrapper div -->
    <h1>This is a page title</h1>
    <p>Here is some paragraph text. This is the main content on the page. We can place images, lists, and other text blocs here</p>
    </div> <!-- close the wrapper div -->
    </body>
    <html>

This sort of page edits very well in Dreamweaver because all of the page content comes down from FTP. WordPress, however, operates in a more advanced manner. You have a page template with the basic structure but all of the page data is stored in a MySQL database. This means your template might look more like this:

<?php get_header(); ?>
    <html>
    <head>
    <title><?php the_title(); ?></title>
    <?php get_stylesheet_uri(); ?>
    <?php wp_head(); ?>
    </head>
    <body <?php body_class(); ?>>
    <div class="wrap"> <?php // this is the wrapper div ?>

And then it just stops because you are looking at header.php, which is the top of the page but not the middle or the bottom. It is a template with several PHP calls, which go out and grab information stored in a database and render it onto the page. One header.php file typically works for every page in the entire site. The PHP engine builds each and every page, in real time, depending on what you have put into the /wp-admin/ section.

What all of this means, Matt, is that Dreamweaver really doesn't have a context for what it is looking at when it sees a WordPress template. Visual editors don't work very well once a page is in a WP Template and we do most of our changes by editing through Chrome or Firefox, then copying the changes into the template files.

I have no doubt that you could learn how to do this but it'll take a few months of practice & study. If you would like some tutorial links to get started, just say the word and I'll pass them along.

For the time being what I can tell you is that you will be very disappointed in what Dreamweaver sees if you pull down your site directory. The app won't be able to make heads or tails of what it's looking at.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.