Can I use a forwarded domain? Does the affiliate domain have to match?

So, I have a main URL (onlineempowermentformula.com) on which I have a 'squeeze page' with a different domain (onlineempowermentseries.com) set up to forward to it. Will the affiliate cookie work if the affiliate URL is my main URL, or does it have to be set up as the forwarded URL?

Also, if I use another forwarded domain in the future, will these cookies still register? Or can bypass all this by simply having the affiliate link be my main URL and all forwarded domains to any page on that main domain will still register the cookie? Does it matter how I have the domain forwarding (masked, permanent, etc.)?

I'm using WP 3.5.1, affiliate plugin 3.1.4.1.

Thanks!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @corinnar

I hope you are well today, welcome to WPMU DEV! And thanks for your question.

Within the settings for the affiliate user, it would have to be the main domain that the cookie is getting added on, it won't be able to work with a forward domain unfortunately at the moment.

It wouldn't recognize the cookie I'm afraid.

Though if it's a redirect it should work, i.e, if you have a 301 redirect from one domain to the other, that should register correctly :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• corinnar

Thanks for your quick response Jack.
    I do have my domain set up as a 301 redirect. So, based on what you said, the affiliate link onlineempowermentseries.com?ref=name-number should register? Which is what I want them to use. When I run the debug on the plugin, it does appear to recognize the click, so that's good.

My next question then, relates to future products. So, if I set up my affiliates with the redirected domain (as above) and I want them to benefit from registrations through my main URL (onlineempowermentformula.com) or another product-specific URL (also redirected to a page on my main URL), will that still work?

OR, do I need to set the affiliate URL as my main URL and as long as they add their ref to the end, any page will set the cookie (i.e. MainURL.com/squeeze-page-slug?ref=name-number) Does that work?

Thanks again,
    Corinna

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Corinna,

I hope you are well today, thanks for the additional information.

Glad to hear that the redirected domain is registering clicks as it should :slight_smile:

My next question then, relates to future products. So, if I set up my affiliates with the redirected domain (as above) and I want them to benefit from registrations through my main URL (onlineempowermentformula.com) or another product-specific URL (also redirected to a page on my main URL), will that still work?

OR, do I need to set the affiliate URL as my main URL and as long as they add their ref to the end, any page will set the cookie (i.e. MainURL.com/squeeze-page-slug?ref=name-number) Does that work?

They should both work technically, it would be worth testing though on the domains/pages with affiliate debug enabled so we can see if the cookie does get set like it should :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.