If WP SMUSH PRO smashes on the go, why is there always images to smush?

Every time I log into the admin panel and check, there's hundreds of images to smush.

But I have it set so that it should auto-smush.

What is happening here that I always have to manually smush?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Kamber,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The "auto-smush" will not affect images that were already added to the Media Library before WP Smush Pro was installed and/or that feature was enabled. Such images should be "bulk smashed" and then new images that are uploaded to the site should be automatically optimized.

Once you run "bulk smushing", letting it complete the process, that message should go away and images should be smushed.

Have you tried that already or is it that even though you do let WP Smush Pro bulk-smush all images, it still reports them as needing optimization?

If that is the case, I would like to take a closer look at your site and test it so could you please grant me a support access to it? To do this, please follow this guide and let me know when you're ready:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Kamber

Thanks.

Yeah I know how it works. I smushed everything then log back in the next day and there's a whole bunch needing smushing again. I am currently running it to catch up on all the new content made over the weekend.

It even happens during smushing. My site has a lot of new content updates but I'm manually doing it every time.

The content is created by hotlinked rss-fed inbound links. Although I have no idea why WordPress even saves copies of the images considering they're hotlinked. Do you know anything about this and how to stop it? It fills my web space with junk that shouldn't even be saved.

Anyway I have granted support access, cheers. This is for styleguide.click (the sneakers site is catching up on 30,000 odd items at the moment).

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Kamber,

Looks like the current number of images shown is smush is affected by W3 Total Cache plugin, this plugin can indeed have some agressive caching and cause such issues.
    After you check the images try simply purging cache and it should show correct number of images.
    When I tried this on your site it changed from 5000+ images to 38, I'm guessing those are from recent posts.

As for your images from feed, I must say I'm not much familiar with the plugins you're using for importing them but there is featured image attached to new posts, so even though images in content are hotlinked the featured image is still used by using WP functions and it needs thumbnail created in your library in order to show it.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Kamber!

I wish I could find a way to stop so many images from filling up my webspace. I tried searching for a post prune or automatic content deleter but there's so much useless garbage in WP plugins.

I'm not familiar with the plugin that you are using for fetching feeds too but if it is adding featured images to posts what happens is that such an image has to be downloaded to your site and when it is WordPress automatically creates multiple additional images of different sizes. There's by default 4 image sizes (thumb, medium, large and full, the last one is the original image that's been uploaded) so for each "featured image" it makes four images "right out of the box". Furthermore, the theme (and even some plugins) may specify additional sizes and WordPress would also create them automatically in the Media Library. Let's say you got original image, three default sizes and three other added by theme (that's just an example): that gives 7 "images per image" so if every of 10 000 items in fetched feeds adds just a featured image it means 70 000 images.

Not really much that can be done about that unfortunately except making sure that theme doesn't specify additional sizes that are not necessary and that feed fetching plugin doesn't add additional sizes. Back in the days I used this plugin to clean up "unnecessary" images (images that are not used anywhere in posts/pages):

https://wordpress.org/plugins/dnui-delete-not-used-image-wordpress/

I'm not sure how it performs now but it might be worth giving a try, though I would test it first on a staging site rather than live one. This "Media Cleaner" plugin seems to be quite useful too:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/media-cleaner/

I think you could try them both on a staging/development setup and hopefully one of them should help you limit the number of those images.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Dimitris

Hey there Kamber,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in here! :slight_smile:

Yep both of those apps time out because of taking too long to index images.

You can try to increase max_execution_time as described here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/increase-memory-limit/

You can see the current value via WPMUDEV -> Support -> System Info [button] -> PHP [tab]

and try to increase to a value like 300.
    If your changes don't have any effect on increasing the value in your System Info, please contact your hosting provider as it may override this value.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.