UPFront Themes vs Legacy Themes

Hi,

I'm a bit confused;
1. Are the suggested themes (Spirit, Fixer, Scribe, Panino, Luke + Sara, Parrot) the only ones I can use the UPFront functionality with?
2. If so: Why are there not more 'general' theme designs available? As in: they all seem to be 'one-page' designs and I'm really missing some general/ blog (read: functional) desings ....
Example I'm thinking about would be something like this: http://demo.mythemeshop.com/s/?theme=SociallyViral%20Free
3a. Am I supposed to use nothing or one of the proposed themes as a starter-point and adjust and re-design it myself to get (close) to the example site above, or is there a faster way to get where I want?
3b. If I can use the Legacy Themes, where can i download them, or even just see a demo of them, because when I use the menu and click on 'Themes', I only see 'UPFront-themes' (and yes, I could do it through the installed WPMUDEV-dashboard, but don't find that the easiest way(at all)).

Thanks in advance.

• Bojan Radonic

Hey there @TKick,

How are you doing today?

1. Are the suggested themes (Spirit, Fixer, Scribe, Panino, Luke + Sara, Parrot) the only ones I can use the UPFront functionality with?

Yes, the above mentioned themes are Upfront child themes. You can only use Upfront child themes with Upfront if that makes sense. You can't use standard themes with Upfront, these child themes are specifically designed to work on Upfront.

2. If so: Why are there not more 'general' theme designs available? As in: they all seem to be 'one-page' designs and I'm really missing some general/ blog (read: functional) desings ....

Only Panino is designed to work like a one page theme (talking about Upfront child themes), even with that you can still create multiple pages with it.

3a. Am I supposed to use nothing or one of the proposed themes as a starter-point and adjust and re-design it myself to get (close) to the example site above, or is there a faster way to get where I want?

All upfront child themes are sharing the same functionality (with really small exceptions) and there are just design differences, the idea is to pick the one that you like the most and start from there. Upfront themes are highly customizable with the drag and drop functionality in the front end builder you can create the layout however you want so that is the general idea, get one as a starter-point and adjust the layout to your needs.

3b. If I can use the Legacy Themes, where can i download them, or even just see a demo of them, because when I use the menu and click on 'Themes', I only see 'UPFront-themes' (and yes, I could do it through the installed WPMUDEV-dashboard, but don't find that the easiest way(at all)).

Legacy themes are our old themes and we removed them from the themes page on our site but you can still download/use them from your dashboard plugin as you mentioned. You can also open legacy theme page on our site by clicking on the following link in the dashboard plugin in your admin for specific theme, see screenshot.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Bojan

• TKick

Thanks Bojan, for yr response.
    I'm fine thanks, hope you are too.

2. Only Panino is designed to work like a one page theme (talking about Upfront child themes), even with that you can still create multiple pages with it.

-> I understand that, more saying; the lay-out of the UPFront themes is generally the same. And not as varied as the legacy collection, which means that if one is not looking for that kind of setup, you'll have to start all over again ... just saying i would appreciate some more variation ....

• Bojan Radonic

Hey again @TKick,

I'm great, thanks :slight_smile:

-> I understand that, more saying; the lay-out of the UPFront themes is generally the same. And not as varied as the legacy collection, which means that if one is not looking for that kind of setup, you'll have to start all over again ... just saying i would appreciate some more variation ....

I see you point but on the other hand you can add different regions with different elements with different styles on any of the pages making two sites completely different with just one theme so you get more variations with one theme then you can get with multiple legacy themes if that makes sense.

Best regards,
    Bojan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.