I'm a wp newbie, so I'm not sure if I'm missing a basic

Hi, I'm a wp newbie, so I'm not sure if I'm missing a basic point.
I'm creating a site that has some wp generated pages & some static pages. I get that I can use Pages>Add New to create a static page. I've also managed to set up a theme, with the display that I'm after. However, when I use page.php from the theme folder, it doesn't show any of the content I have typed into the 'Add New' page section. I have read that I should create a new page in the theme folder called page-{slug} (in this case 'About') which I have done but it is still behaving in the same way as if I had just used page.php. Where am I going wrong?

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi, Barnaby!

Can I ask what you need to change about the page template? Changing the template itself, not the content, would be the only reason to edit a PHP file with WordPress.

I think what you want to do is to create a new page named About, then you can add a link to that page in your navigation menu, by going to Appearance > Menus.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding you here, Barnaby!

• Barnaby
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Do I just need to put what is in the template file above the content in the static page then?
    so for instance:
    <?php get_header(); ?>
    Static page content here.
    <?php get_sidebar(); ?>
    <?php get_footer(); ?>

Apologies if this is Wordpress 101!

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Barnaby,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

I'm a little bit confused about what you are attempting here as well. If you want a static page then simply create an "About" page via Pages > Add new with static content. as Michelle mentioned above.

If you want a special template for your about page then you can make a copy of your page.php and re-name it page-about.php

This is assuming "about" is your page slug(site.com/about)

Then you can customize the layout of it :slight_smile:

You will notice how the page.php is setup and how that reflects onto the basic pages.

This might help as well: http://codex.wordpress.org/Page_Templates

Let me know if you still have further questions here! More than happy to assist.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.