I'm Confuse with Upfront

Hi i have setup a multi site with upfront builder.
I'm kind of confuse how to manage it... in multisite.
I'm Understand that we can create our own theme in the builder or we can choose the starter theme to start.

so the strange part is this ... when i edit the starter theme / i build my own theme .. the entire network will display in "Edit Existing theme" and it allow other user to edit my Theme info.

and during i editing the theme i'm not sure when is i Build the theme or when i is edit my active theme.

please help me understand this more... cause this is what i wanted to do
i want to pre design many time for the network but doesn't want the network use mess with my original theme setup.

i also want network use can build their own theme but not share to entire network unless admin is allow to share.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Jikey,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

You should note that there's Upfront Builder and Upfront Editor and there's difference between the two.

Upfront Builder is a plugin used to create Upfront child themes, this will be starting theme once finished and activated which can then further be modified by Upfront Editor.
    Difference here is that changes made using Upfront Editor will only be for that site and it will not save it as new starting theme.

Upfront Builder can only be started from Upfront > Builder plugin in your admin section, while Upfront Editor is started by clicking on Upfront icon in your admin bar.

So you can use Upfront Builder to create starting theme, activate it on your desired subsites and then use Upfront Editor to make changes only on that subsites.

i also want network use can build their own theme but not share to entire network unless admin is allow to share.

If Builder is active on subsites they will be able to create new themes and other users will not be able to activate them until you have enabled it from your network theme settings.
    However they will be able to edit theme from Builder itself, there's currently no way of disabling this for subsites that have builder active.

Hope this all makes sense and helps a bit :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Jikey

Hi Predrag

Thank you for the explanation.
      Well ...ya i think for end user they will still confusing as well... anyway is there how to turn off the builder menu and add the editor to the side bar?

I'm trying to make it easy for my user

also looking forward wpmu team will have upgrade the builder part just try to image... if i have 500 user create 500 theme... and they can edit who every build theme. that is really huge of mess. :slight_smile: please help me to pass the msg to the engineer team know about this... i this will be upgrade in the future upfront will be prefect !

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Jikey,

Upfront Builder is more intended for super admin, to let them create new themes and then give those starting themes to your subsite admins which they can then customize for their subsite, this doesn't affect original theme and changes are only seen on their site.

anyway is there how to turn off the builder menu and add the editor to the side bar?

I'm not sure I understand this completely, to disable Builder completely and add Editor to sidebar in admin section or you're looking for something else? :slight_smile:
    Please advise.

As for the last part, I have already notified devs about this request and it started some discussion between them so let's hope for good news :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.