I'm confused as to how this plugin actually works....

Ok, so here's what I want to do....I'm not sure if the Affiliates plugin has the capability. I'm not a coder.

So I want to add an affiliate and give them a link to a specific page on my site that they can promote e.g. guest blog post feature, so they can get paid on signups.

This blog post will have a signup link in the article that goes to a landing page but there will also be a sign up box at the bottom of the page and in the side bar.

1. How does the affiliate plugin track signups...and will it detect a signup regardless of where they actually signed up....i.e. on my side bar or on a separate landing page?
2. Can the plugin also detect when a referred user purchases my membership program....even after they leave my site and purchase via an email and sales letter?
3. How does the plugin detect sales? There is no way of linking my paypal up with it.
4. How do I add an affiliate to the program? Add a new user to my wordpress?
5. What link do I give to my affiliates for them to promote their guest post?

I could really do with all this clearing up ASAP.

If you need anymore clarification please ask.

Thanks,

Tom

• Alexander

Hi Tom,

I can help get these questions cleared up for you.

1. How does the affiliate plugin track signups...and will it detect a signup regardless of where they actually signed up....i.e. on my side bar or on a separate landing page?

It will detect a signup no matter where it happens. But it will only track is as a signup - there's no way for it to record where it happened as well.

2. Can the plugin also detect when a referred user purchases my membership program....even after they leave my site and purchase via an email and sales letter?

To track the sale, it needs to happen through the registration page. Affiliate cookies are stored on their computer, so even if they leave and come back, it will still track.

3. How does the plugin detect sales? There is no way of linking my paypal up with it.

You will need to enable one of the Affiliate add-ons. Right now it works with Pro Sites, MarketPress, Membership, and Directory. These add-ons link into their respective plugins and watch for sales, then report them back to the affiliates module.

Only affiliates need to link their PayPal accounts. From the admin side, you can export a list of all the affiliate payments and export a PayPal mass pay text file. Then you can submit the file through PayPal to have everyone paid at once.

4. How do I add an affiliate to the program? Add a new user to my wordpress?
    5. What link do I give to my affiliates for them to promote their guest post?

When the plugin is active, the user can login to the dashboard and they will have a link for "Affiliate referrals" by the link to their profile. From here they will be able to input their PayPal email address. This page will also provide the affiliate URL for them, and allow them to see the signups and sales they've generated

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.