I'm currently setting up wordpress multisite on my existing

Hi

I'm currently setting up wordpress multisite on my existing site Link removed at members request with a view to having an online marketplace of sellers of dog products. Each seller gets their own subdomain/subdirectory to use for their products, and there is also going to be a central place where all of these products display.

My questions are in regard to hosting. I am currently with hostgator, but I can see that to upgrade to a vps or dedicated server with them is quite costly in comparison to others. For that reason I'm looking at alternatives for when I have a few stores on the site and my hostgator shared hosting can no longer cope with this.

Please can you help me with the following;

1. What do you believe I will need once I have a few hundred stores on my site? How many will a vps cope with (I'm not even sure what vps really is). How much will vps cost me a month. At what point will I need to move from shared hosting to a vps?

2. At what point will I have to move from vps to dedicated server? How many stores do you estimate this will take to affect vps hosting? And when I do have to move to a dedicated server eventually, how much will that then cost me per month (just an idea will do, I've only ever had shared hosting).

Please note, at the moment I can cope with the hosting I have, but I can see this won't be for long (to know how long exactly would be interesting) if I am successful at generating new business.

I need to know the ins and outs and potential costs now so I can work out the business model as a whole and work out whether the store will be profitable. I don't want to go into this if at the end of it all I'm paying as much out for hosting as the stores are making me per month! :slight_smile:

Thanks for your advice.

Sally

• PC

Hello there Sally,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

Wow, you move so fast. I remember the chat from yesterday about Multisite :slight_smile:

My questions are in regard to hosting. I am currently with hostgator, but I can see that to upgrade to a vps or dedicated server with them is quite costly in comparison to others. For that reason I'm looking at alternatives for when I have a few stores on the site and my hostgator shared hosting can no longer cope with this.

I can suggest Digital Ocean as that is what I am using for a few of my sites and it rocks. You can scale it as per your choice but you will need to know a bit about setting up a VPS yourself as its unmanaged hosting.

Apart from that you can checkout our hosting review series here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/which-wordpress-web-host/

To decide at what point you need to move depends on the signups you are receiving and the traffic on your site. If you see that you are getting good traffic (and ofcourse making money out of it) its time to move.

2. At what point will I have to move from vps to dedicated server? How many stores do you estimate this will take to affect vps hosting? And when I do have to move to a dedicated server eventually, how much will that then cost me per month (just an idea will do, I've only ever had shared hosting).

Again that depends on the traffic, bandwidth consumption and a lot of other things. Believe me, once you feel the need to move to a dedicated server, your website will be making a lot of money so you will not need to give it a second thought but move hosts. Its however always better to plan in advance.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.