Im developing a site that would utilize some of your plugins.

What plugins do I need to make similar blogs - Edublogs.com and BuddyPress.com

It will need social network and blogging. Its will be education and networking/social combined.

Also, what would be the best setup so I can scale it so it can handle 400K total blogs and maybe a 1Million Users.

Thanks.

• Kingdom Studios

Hey @Bobby A.P.!

Welcome to WPMU Dev and the forum!

From my perspective, you have a pretty ambitious plan. The very basics would be a hosting platform that will be scalable as your site grows toward your objectives, a multisite, proper security, marketing/SEO, membership onboarding/signup process, user training and support, a continuous improvement process, and ongoing development. You then need to determine/recruit/source who will be doing which tasks. That is off the top of my head. I'm sure I left something out.

Are you going to be doing all of this yourself and do you have financial resources and a budget?

Regards,

Martin

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there, I hope you're well today.

What plugins do I need to make similar blogs - Edublogs.com and BuddyPress.com

Well, you could start with BuddyPress

A number of plugins we use on Edublogs are also available here in some variant. For example, Pro Sites:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/

This will let you offer premium themes, plugins, extra space as well as other features.

And then you might like to pull content from the network and display it on your main site, or make it searchable. You'll want to take a look at our Post Indexer plugin and the relating projects that can be found on the following page:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/post-indexer/

We also categorise them on Edublogs:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/site-categories/

Keep in mind to run Edublogs we also employ number of people including 3 system admins. One of our developers over there also does system admin work too. We then have some developers, support guys, etc. We now employ some 45+ staff here at Incsub (Edublogs and WPMU DEV).

We run multiple servers, a fair few.

Best thing to do is sit down and write out a plan of what you want to do, then work out what can be done with our plugins and what you might need to have custom developed (we don't release everything from Edublogs).

Work out your budget, this ain't cheap if you think you can realistically get 400k actively using your site.

Also, what would be the best setup so I can scale it so it can handle 400K total blogs and maybe a 1Million Users.

You'll need some deep pockets!

Best thing to do is sit down with a system admin and discuss this. Try to be realistic considering your marketing budget and how rapidly you can expect to grow.

We power sites for some of the largest campuses in the world, it's not the easiest thing to maintain, so you'll need a great team to work with you.

If your budget is low then you could consider something small like a VPS for example, and then grow with it.

All the best with your plans, I really hope you succeed!

Take care.