I’m getting error 405 when trying to create a Managed Backup with Snapshot

I can’t run any Managed Backup on my site, it times out at 30% returning a 405 error. My site is about 1.20GB and I’ve run many successful backups in the past so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong this time.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Amanda,

I tried checking your site further from cPanel but the login details added in chat by Violeta are not working for me I'm afraid.

The 405 error is usually server related and it's not allowing access certain methods.
    Did your host check server logs to see if there's any information there about what's going on?

I do also see a mixed content error in console when checking your site, this shouldn't be causing snapshot to fail but just to be sure about this, did you use HTTP before and the issue started happening after switching to HTTPS by any chance?

Also, did you perhaps added any large files since last successful backup that could be causing more resources being needed from server and causing the issue?

Could you re-send your FTP or cPanel login so we can investigate this further?
    You can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:

Subject: "Attn: Predrag Dubajic"
    - Site login url
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel credentials (host/username/password)
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/info

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for sending those in, I had a look at your site resources and even though the local values for memory limit and execution times were good the master values were still set to low.

I've increased both master values now within php.ini file, but what I noticed in your server is that you have backup file in root folder which is over 1GB .
    Snapshot does ignore backups from uploads/snapshots/ folder but it will not ignore the backup file inside your root folder.

So can you download that backup file and then remove it from your server.
    This will significantly reduce the new backup size and with increased resources you should be able to finish up the backup.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Amanda

Hello Predrag,

Thank you so much for your time and help - so much appreciated.
    Because I have basic knowledge of web development can I ask you to please give me some more specific details as to what I need to do?

When logged into my CPanel FileManager I go to my public_html folder, then to adrian rusin folder where everything for my website exists.

Once I'm in there I should download full_backup-151261226-full-cb2cbc04.zip at 1.17 GB
    Then delete it right out of my CPanel FileManager?
    This won't delete my website right?

I do not delete the snapshot in the same folder?

**See attachment

Thank you for your help.
    Best to you,
    Amanda

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Amanda!

The "...snapshot-standalone-restore-script...zip" file is small enough to not affect backup performance but it's also not necessary there. It does nothing on a working site so if the site is running fine you don't need to keep it there.

And yes, you simply download the backup file to your hard-drive to keep the backup archive (if you want) and remove it vi cPanel, just like you noted on the screenshot.

Doing this will not remove or break the site in any way :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Amanda,

I tried checking this again but the login info provided in chat is no longer working and the support access is time limited so I was unable to test this fully as I got logged out of your site during the backup process.

There is something I managed to get some info before this, the support access expired when backup was at around 90% so it didn't brake at 30% like in your case.
    What this tells us is that there's probably higher server load during the time you were looking at this so backup exhausted the resources earlier and in my case it allowed it to go further in process.

Can you check with your host again now and see if there's any more info in server logs now that the resources are increased from php.ini?

Also, could you check at what time of the day the server load is lowest and then setup a scheduled backup for that time and see if that will finish up properly?

Best regards,
    Predrag