I'm getting folder permission related issues with WPMUDEV Dashboard.

I indicated one website but the issues seem to be related to more than one.

I just got a message via the Dashboard that my sites needed to update hummingbird. After clicking the update button, i got a message that it didn't update and there might be a folder permission error. When I went to my sites, Humming bird was, in fact updated.

Also, when running defender, some of them are unable to write the htaccess file when hardening. No error is reported, it quietly fails. I opened a support ticket for this.

I was thinking that a good thing for Defender would be a folder permission check with the option of changing folders to correct permissions or at least a list of which folders are incorrect and what the recommended setting would be. Then I could manually change them. As it is, I have no idea what they should be and I don't have time to check all of them.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Titanium Creative,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Some time in a past the "false permission message" was an issue in WP DEV Dashboard plugin. It seemed to be fixed a few releases ago, however your post indicates that it may be back. Before going any further with this though, I'd like to ask you a few things if you don't mind.

- Did it happened before or is it the first time?
    - does it happen only with Hummingbird or with other plugins/themes too?
    - have you made any significant changes to your WP install/server setup recently?
    - what are current permissions for: ".htaccess" file?
    - what are current permissions for following folders: "/wp-content", "/wp-content/plugins", "/wp-content/plugins/wp-hummingbird", "/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender"?

Please advise!

I'd also appreciate your suggestion on how to improve "Hardening" feature of our Defender plugin and I'll pass it on to its developers.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Titanium Creative

- Did it happened before or is it the first time?
    First time its happened.

- does it happen only with Hummingbird or with other plugins/themes too?
    Hummingbird was the only update so I don't know if it will happen with others.

- have you made any significant changes to your WP install/server setup recently?
    Only the ones suggested by the hardener and other dashboard plugins. I just installed them all recently.

- what are current permissions for: ".htaccess" file?
    Which htaccess file? the main one is 644

- what are current permissions for following folders:
    "/wp-content" => 755
    "/wp-content/plugins" => 755
    "/wp-content/plugins/wp-hummingbird" => 755
    "/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender" => 755

Let me know if you need anything else or need me to do anything.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Titanium Creative,

Thanks for getting back to me with all that information!

Permissions here seems rather fine and given that the Hummingbird after all was updated I'd say that it would be good to observe and see if this "false negative update message" appears again upon any other update.

As for Defender not being able to write to ".htaccess". The 644 permissions translate to:

- file owner can read+write
    - group and others can only read

Most likely that's what prevented plugin from writing to a file. You could set a bit less secure permissions temporarily (e.g. 664 or even 755 or 775) to allow plugin write to file, then run hardening and then set permissions back to 644 or even 444 .

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.