I'm getting ready to click the install button of Multisite installation to an existing single W

I'm getting ready to click the install button of Multisite installation to an existing single Wordpress site. I wanted to install sub-directory, but it says I must use sub-domains. How do I change this?
Here's the specific message:
"Because your install is not new, the sites in your WordPress network must use sub-domains. The main site in a sub-directory install will need to use a modified permalink structure, potentially breaking existing links."

• Travis
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

This is the specific message:

Because your install is not new, the sites in your WordPress network must use sub-domains. The main site in a sub-directory install will need to use a modified permalink structure, potentially breaking existing links.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

You can't use sub-folder if you wordpress is old. It's because subfolders could conflict with other page urls you already have. The way urls for subdirectories work, the first blog gets urls for pages like domain.com/pagename, which could possibly rub elbows badly with domain.com/subfolder you see.
    For example: you have currently a page. http://www.domain.com/test and now an user or you want to create a blog with name 'test' then the url will be same and it will conflict.

But, if you really want to change it into a subfolder based multisite, you can try one of these following:

1. changing the wp-config like for subdomains to false
    2. Add the following lines to your current activated WordPress Theme’s template file, preferably your Theme’s template functions.php file or mu-plugins:

add_filter( 'allow_subdirectory_install',
    	create_function( '', 'return true;' )
    	);

Please let me know if it is helpful and feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• Travis
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks Ash! This is very helpful. Question: If I use sub-domains as it is currently prompting me to, will I have to separately host each subdomain? Also, will it effect any SEO efforts as a result of using subdomains vs. subfolders?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

If I use sub-domains as it is currently prompting me to, will I have to separately host each subdomain?

You don't need to host any subdomain. What you need to do is to create a wildcard subdomain in your host. You can learn more here: https://codex.wordpress.org/Configuring_Wildcard_Subdomains
    Here the procedure is described based on popular hosts.

Also, will it effect any SEO efforts as a result of using subdomains vs. subfolders?

No, there will be no effect on your SEO.

But I will suggest you to keep a backup of your whole site and database. So that in case, if anything goes wrong you can just restore :slight_smile:

Please let me know if it is helpful and feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.