Sliders in Scribe

I'm having a better time with Scribe with my book site, than Spirit with the mjspetsitting site. Taking time to fix and try things. There are a few things that cropped up at this time. This is also a redesign, about my book tracing my trips to Norway, beginning in 1969 when my family spent a year there when I was 11. I had the old 8mm films and my later slides digitized. I've figured out some of the fixes in the questions.

Only worked on home and Gallery pages.
On Home Page:
1. The excerpts that are on the Gallery page are also on the home page. I only want them on the Gallery page. When I view the site, the excerpts are not on the home page. Is it safe to delete them from the home page—it won’t delete them on the Gallery page?
2. Should I continue bio under The Author in the first column, as with Reviews, or jump it to another page? Stylistically? Is the text of the three columns getting too close to each other? Can the padding be stretched?
3. The navigation in the banner is hanging over, probably because I set up a pre-set that created a new navigation instead of using the same one. I wanted the blue background and white text. How do I fix this?
4. I’m having trouble with the h1 script heads changing back to the default color if I change something elsewhere. I reset the settings for that and paragraph. See how long it lasts.
5. Can’t get rid of gap under Bookwire. Tried padding and clicking on bottom and moving it up. Looks a little better now after 6 below.
6. Can’t get the font consistent on the reviews. Going between blockquote and paragraph styles. The font doesn’t look the same on the site. Font is lighter looking at the site than I want it and the way it is in edit mode. Then, I noticed the first review was part of the h1 box. I added a text box for the first review, and it seems ok at the moment. Everything in the text box is a blockquote. It didn’t give me a big quote mark.
7. I embedded YouTube video. I’m unable to change the color or font of the caption.
Gallery page:
1. I have slide shows from each trip—had 1969-70 8mm movies digitized—as well as my slides and some pictures. I can’t get the area to click underneath the text excerpts to get the + so I can create another region and add another slider. If I use Camtasia later to edit the films, this might change, but at least, I can get to look at a “draft” of the shows.
2. Can I put a caption/headline on top of the thumbnails without going to a graphic program?
3. Resizing the sliders?

Access granted.

Michael

• Rupok

Hi Michael, thanks for asking.

Let me answer one by one:

1. The excerpts that are on the Gallery page are also on the home page. I only want them on the Gallery page. When I view the site, the excerpts are not on the home page. Is it safe to delete them from the home page—it won’t delete them on the Gallery page?

In every case, it's always a very good idea to take a full backup before trying anything so you can always revert back to current state if anything goes wrong. In normal situation, if you change anything in one page, should not affect other pages unless that's a post element. Even in that case, Upfront will ask you if you want to make that change only on that post or on all post of same type. So take a full backup and go on.

2. Should I continue bio under The Author in the first column, as with Reviews, or jump it to another page?

I'm sorry but I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to achieve. Are you asking which should be better? Well, it totally depends on you. If you like the bio under the Author in the first column, or move it to another page. But visitors always like those sites where they have to browse less number of pages. So keeping it in the same page will be a good idea in my opinion.

3. The navigation in the banner is hanging over, probably because I set up a pre-set that created a new navigation instead of using the same one. I wanted the blue background and white text. How do I fix this?

The nav currently has blue background with white text. Am I missing something? Please check the attached screenshot for reference.

Can you please send us a bit more details about your requirement? I'll try to provide the solution as soon as I'm clear about the requirement.

4. I’m having trouble with the h1 script heads changing back to the default color if I change something elsewhere. I reset the settings for that and paragraph. See how long it lasts.
    5. Can’t get rid of gap under Bookwire. Tried padding and clicking on bottom and moving it up. Looks a little better now after 6 below.
    6. Can’t get the font consistent on the reviews. Going between blockquote and paragraph styles.
    7. I embedded YouTube video. I’m unable to change the color or font of the caption.

I could tell you better about the issue if I could see it live, check your current configuration and make some tests on your site. Would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Gallery Requirements:

1. I have slide shows from each trip—had 1969-70 8mm movies digitized—as well as my slides and some pictures. I can’t get the area to click underneath the text excerpts to get the + so I can create another region and add another slider. If I use Camtasia later to edit the films, this might change, but at least, I can get to look at a “draft” of the shows.
    2. Can I put a caption/headline on top of the thumbnails without going to a graphic program?
    3. Resizing the sliders?

Regarding all these, I can tell you exactly how you can do these if I can login with Support Access and check your current config. Please grant us access and let us know when you are done granting. We will be glad to have a look and provide you best workarounds.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• mkleiner

Rupok,
    Thanks for the reply. I granted access yesterday and I thought I had added that to the post or sent in another one. It's good for 8 days right now.

It's interesting that in some cases as I wrote some of these questions, I then figured out solution(s). Let me try to clarify.

2. Should I continue bio under The Author in the first column, as with Reviews, or jump it to another page?
    I have the three columns that was part of the template. In some WordPress sites, they include a little information underneath each column, and then link to more info on a different page. (On my site) The third column with the reviews extends down the page because I thought it would be neat showing a Norwegian media review, American media review, American reader review, Norwegian-American reader review to show the breadth of positive reviews. When View All is clicked, viewers of the site will go to a page with additional reviews and longer versions of these. For consistency, the other two columns should probably be the same length. Right now, I've only add a little bit of a bio. The middle column would also have to be longer. I was just asking stylistically, would it be better for these columns to be shorter and link for more information? As you said, it can be both ways, some people will not want to click for More Info, and others might feel the page has too much text , that is close to each other. Another part of the question was can the padding be increased between the columns or a border or vertical line be added so text doesn't seem to be running into the next column?

The navigation that is hanging down is on top of the default navigation. Actually, there are two navigations. That's odd. I was just able to move it up, so it's not dangling. A close eye on hover, you can see there are two elements. Now, question is can we move the links toward the middle of the blue strip. I'm going for the effect of the Norwegian flag. See attached.

4. I’m having trouble with the h1 script font heads changing back to the default color if I change something elsewhere. I reset the settings for that and paragraph. See how long it lasts.
    Right now it's looking fine since I reset the settings for paragraph and h1.

This looks better now.

6. Can’t get the font consistent on the reviews. Going between blockquote and paragraph styles.
    I was alternating trying to make the text with the paragraph style or blockquote. This seems ok now (as blockquote), though I thought I was going to have a large size quote mark. A horizontal line just appeared after Bookwire (in Chrome) separating that from the next review. I would like to change the color and use it to separate the reviews, but can't grab the line.

Can't grab the text at all in Chrome or Edge browser, although in Edge, can highlight. The caption came with the embed, when I added the URL for the video. I didn't type it.

Gallery:

Is there a special format/file extension to export from Camtasia (video editing)?
    3. Resizing the sliders?

This should help.

Regards,

Michael

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Michael,

I was just asking stylistically, would it be better for these columns to be shorter and link for more information?

Please note that we are not design experts, we mostly work with technical questions, code, so design questions are bit tricky.
    However - I've taken a look and columns with different height - especially one that is very long - doesn't look very good. There is part of your site when scrolling that looks like that

Personally, I would shorten that - but I'm not designer and you should consult real one.

Another part of the question was can the padding be increased between the columns or a border or vertical line be added so text doesn't seem to be running into the next column?

You can add vertical padding for element in it's advanced settings

You would need to add this padding to elements in your cols.

Now, question is can we move the links toward the middle of the blue strip. I'm going for the effect of the Norwegian flag. See attached.

Yes, you should be able to do that - first you need to ungroup elements on that blue stripe. You will get two menu element (social media and normal menu) - then its is matter to adjust with of the each element so they will fit next to each other.
    because you want to have space under and over normal menu - you can now click padding option for that element and with padding set up desired effect.

A horizontal line just appeared after Bookwire (in Chrome) separating that from the next review. I would like to change the color and use it to separate the reviews, but can't grab the line.

Hmm. I'm checking your site in Chrome and there is no line there - can you make a screenshot of what you see

To add line you can create separate preset for your text element and in Appearance settings you can Edit preset CSS and add this line

.plain-text-container {border-bottom: 1px solid red;}

that will add bottom border. Then you can reuse that preset on other text elements.

Can't grab the text at all in Chrome or Edge browser, although in Edge, can highlight. The caption came with the embed, when I added the URL for the video. I didn't type it.

Do you mean that white text on video?

That is from YouTube, that cannot be edited in Upfront.

I can’t get the area to click underneath the text excerpts to get the + so I can create another region and add another slider.

maybe I'm missing something here, but I edited region and there is plus sign to add new one there

and it work fine, open popup to add new region.

Is there a special format/file extension to export from Camtasia (video editing)?

I'm not familiar with this app, so I dont know what formats it supports, but mp4 files should be handled well on web. If you want to use those movies as backgrounds you will need to send those to youtube first or vimeo - so you need to check what formats those services are supporting (I usually send there mov files).

You can use captions in images presets - there are few position available. Over image, covers image - always or on hovers. Choose one you like the best

[image pos="5"]

3. Resizing the sliders?

Hm. Draggable element slider can be resized like text or image element - but you should be careful when choosing images - so small images should be used in small slider size, bigger image in bigger slider elements.

Let me know if you have more questions

kind regards,
    Kasia