I'm having issues with Upfront Builder I can't edit the theme info

I’m having issues with Upfront Builder; I can’t edit the theme info. Also the template is not responding as I expect it should.

It gives me an; https://www.dropbox.com/s/sag3wboez3y10ny/Screenshot%202017-04-18%2022.42.34.png?dl=0

• Ken Kimbrell
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Kain-

I understand you are having a problem with editing your theme in upfront builder. Happy to help!

I went to your custom theme template in builder and added a footer region, then additional content as well. I then updated the content and it saved. Please understand that making changes in upfront, and upfront builder are two separate things. Making changes in upfront will effect only the custom changes made to the current and active theme. While making changes to a theme in upfront builder will make custom changes across even the default settings of the theme, meaning you would have to reset your theme in order to apply the new custom styles created in upfront builder to your active theme. I have created a screencast in hopes to better help explain the difference of the two in the past. You can find it here:

https://www.screencast.com/t/fVXyHn3Urb0

If I am way off on the reason you contacted us let me know with more detail the problem and I will do my best to come up with a solution for you.

Take Care,

Ken – WPMU DEV Support

• 1337user
    • Mr.

Hello Ken,

Thank you for the screencast.

My main issue is that I can not edit the Theme info on the Upfront Page via the Dashboard.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/97x9zn0oet3jdkx/Screenshot%202017-04-25%2013.01.13.png?dl=0

“Oops, something went wrong with processing your request.”

If there is more info or other screencasts on building template pages and or moving from another theme to an upfront template without having to re-create the content in upfront, it would also be much appreciated.

As I can’t seem to find a way to create an upfront layout template whereafter I can add pages through the default ‘add page’ in WordPress dashboard. When adding a page through the WP dashboard, it reverts to the new empty upfront state.

But my main issue: I can’t edit the child theme info in upfront builder!

Kind regards

• Ken Kimbrell
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Kain-

It appears you are getting a status of 400 (Bad Request) when we try to update the information VIA an ajax call. This could be related to how your server is set up with your hosting provider, and you may want to talk with them to see if they can make changes to accept custom ajax calls. If you provide me with additional login credentials, I can look into it more.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Please visit our private Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

Subject: “Attn: Ken Kimbrell”

In the Message box, please provide the following:

– link back to this thread for reference

– any other relevant urls

– Admin login:

Admin username

Admin password

Login url

– Hosting Control Panel Login

Admin username

Admin password

Login url

– FTP credentials

host

username

password

(and port if required)

Take Care,

Ken – WPMU DEV Support

• 1337user
    • Mr.

Thank you; I’ve sent you the details.

I’ve recently switched hosting plans, after (company name) support told me that my old hosting plan was dated and would no longer be updated to the most recent PHP versions. But, I feel like I got the short end, my older hosting was way more robust and had no file limit, where this one has…

Thank you for your time!

EDIT / UPDATE:

I Talked to support:

There’s a page where I can enable certain features on the server.

Which one do I need to activate?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pl0cystxg7nutzp/Screenshot%202017-04-25%2021.36.04.png?dl=0

• Ken Kimbrell
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Kain-

I do apologize for the delayed response. I went into your cpanel and made some necessary changes. You are now able to download your upfront builder theme and update the theme info on the dashboard in upfront builder.

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care,

Ken – WPMU DEV Support wpmudev

• 1337user
    • Mr.

Hello Ken,

while editing the theme info I still get: Oops, something went wrong with processing your request.

But the images have updated from previous attempts.

could you also mention what changes that you applied, as a future reference?

Thank you for your support.

• Ken Kimbrell
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Kain-

I am noticing that now sometimes the updates to your activated theme's info goes through, and sometimes it does not . I have created additional themes and made the updates to the info of the theme without any problems. You may want to consider starting a new theme folder, as that one may not have installed incorrectly. As for the AJAX and the inability to download a ZIP file. I ticked two additional checkboxes. See images below:

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care,

Ken – WPMU DEV Support wpmudev

• 1337user
    • Mr.

Hello Ken,

would that mean that I would loose my progress in development on the theme? Or can I delete the theme and import it using the extracted zip, to set the install correctly?

Thank you for your continued support; and detailed info.

Much appreciated.

PS: When I edit the settings of a newly created theme and save, go back to the other, primary, theme and change the theme info, it saves. When I alter it a second time I get the error again.

Maybe this could help troubleshooting?

• Ken Kimbrell
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Kain- You can try downloading the ZIP file and uploading the theme again and see if the ability returns for being able to modify your theme’s info. You can then delete the old theme, and continue working where you left off on the new theme install through builder.

You can also try replacing the old theme’s files with a newly built theme VIA FTP access. Of course I would recommend you just copy your old theme’s files and delete all the files in the newly built theme, then paste in the old files. While I doubt this option would be the best solution, it is still an option to consider.

Are you able to make multiple changes to the two test themes I created, without receiving any ajax errors?

Let me know how I can help!

Take Care,

Ken – WPMU DEV Support

• 1337user
    • Mr.

Hello Ken,

thank you for your continued support, I hope you are doing well today!

At this time the website is up and running, (live), all good and well, frontend.

So, I’m going to wait to attempt the internal theme migration until the site has been sitting for a while.

I am able to do multiple edits to the existing themes under upfront builder, so it will just be the first installed theme that has something… wonky.

I’ll mark this as resolved. Thank you for the PHP settings and excellent support. :slight_smile:

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello 1337user

Hope you are doing well!

I’ve visited your site and can replicate the issue. There is an error showing up in the developer console:

{"error":{"message":"Your chosen theme slug is invalid, please try another.","code":"missing_required"}}

It looks like the current theme where you wish to edit info is active on your site. Please, temporary activate another theme and try to edit theme’s information again.

Please let me know how it went!

Kind regards,

Nastia

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello there!

Hope you are doing well!

If the theme is activated, it is not possible to change its info. Please, temporarily activate another theme, the default Twenty Seventeen for example.

Once a different theme is activated you should be able to change the theme’s info from Upfront > Builder.

Let me know how it went.

Kind regards,

Nastia

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello 1337user

Hope you’re doing well!

I can’t reproduce this issue with latest Builder version and Upfront. Would you please make sure that the Upfront Builder plugin and Upfront themes are up to date?

If the issue still persists, please grant access to your site from WPMU DEV > Support so I could have a closer look at the setup.

Let us know when you will grant access!

Cheers,

Nastia

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there 1337user,

I've just tried to add a little description in your child theme and noticed a error message in browser's console, something I wasn't able to reproduce in my local testing site (child theme details were being saved successfully).

Could you please proceed with a conflict test around this?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Support-Process-Support-Process.gif

You should first keep a website backup, or test this in another fresh WP installation in the same server, by exporting/installing your custom theme as well as WPMUDEV Dashboard, Upfront Builder and any other Upfront default theme (so Upfront parent theme is also installed).

Let us know if that makes any difference! :slight_smile:

Warm regards,

Dimitris

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello 1337user,

I’ve passed this to developer – I did initial debugging on that site, but disabling other plugins did not give positive results. Also debug log was not created and there is no error_logs for that site. So developer has to check that issue. We will keep you posted about findings.

kind regards,

Kasia

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello 1337user,

hope you’re doing good today! :slight_smile:

I just used the http://events.selfhealing-center.com/ that you’ve created for another issue and I was able to save theme details (I’ve added a theme description, if you check).

This means that there’s some kind of conflict between the remaining plugins or some other custom code. Please do follow this flow chart in order to narrow this down:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Support-Process-Support-Process.gif

Warm regards,

Dimitris

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there 1337user,

hope you’re doing good today! :slight_smile:

That’s strange, I can see that this issue in still happening in “beta” site, despite that there’s no other active plugin… is the child theme in “beta” site the same one as in “events” site? Please advise!

Meanwhile, I’ve already pinged our Upfront developers on this, in order to provide some more insights. We’ll keep you posted here as soon as we’ve got some valuable insights!

Warm regards,

Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.