I'm having lots of trouble trying to get Directory plugin

I'm having lots of trouble trying to get Directory plugin to function correctly. Here is my test listing page: http://frolicearth.com/test-listing-home

This is how I would like it to work --> User goes to homepage to view listings. From here they can add a listing for free by clicking on the Add Listing button. Once they signup or signin, I want them to go straight to adding their listing, not redirected to a wp-admin page.

Here are my questions:

1. I'm not able to test getting to a page where I can add new listings without permissions issues. I'm allowing the Subscriber role to be able to add free listings. When I logout as an admin and to test as a Subscriber, I am able to start an account, then I'm redirected to a wp-admin page, where I can not add a listing. How do I get the plugin to redirect so they can see a from to add a new listing?

2. What is the url to the Add a New Listing Page? Directory does not automatically have that setup, so to try and get to this page, I am using the shortcode button for Add New Listing with no success.

3. Is there a simple way to make the listings grid view mobile friendly? I am using a responsive theme, but the listings grid view in the plugin is not responsive.

4. If the user is already logged in or not, I want them to see the shortcode buttons that are available to them, i.e., My Listings button only if logged in, Logout button only if logged in, Signin button, if they are not logged. Do the shortcode buttons behave that way, where the system knows what to display? If not, what are your suggestions for this?

5. When the user clicks on a listing, I want them to see an Add Listings button each time for every listing page. What do I need to do to get that to work?

6. I want the user to be able to add a listing as soon as they signup. I don't want them redirected to a wp-admin page unless they click on their profile button. How do I get that to work?

7. When testing a Paypal Sandbox, after step 3, I'm taken to a separate Paypal page for payment. Is there a way to keep the payment within my site?

Thanks for you help!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Keith,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

1. I'm not able to test getting to a page where I can add new listings without permissions issues. I'm allowing the Subscriber role to be able to add free listings. When I logout as an admin and to test as a Subscriber, I am able to start an account, then I'm redirected to a wp-admin page, where I can not add a listing. How do I get the plugin to redirect so they can see a from to add a new listing?

Would you mind if i registered a test account to test this on your site? Could you post a screenshot of the capabilities for the subscriber role in listings > settings > capabilities :slight_smile:

2. What is the url to the Add a New Listing Page? Directory does not automatically have that setup, so to try and get to this page, I am using the shortcode button for Add New Listing with no success.

By default it should be domain.com/listings/add-new Which URL does the shortcode for the add new button generate? Have you set the permalinks as postname in settings > permalinks?

3. Is there a simple way to make the listings grid view mobile friendly? I am using a responsive theme, but the listings grid view in the plugin is not responsive.

Currently you'd need to target the ID's and classes for the directory using something such as firebug or Chrome Developer tools and then use media queries, http://css-tricks.com/css-media-queries/

4. If the user is already logged in or not, I want them to see the shortcode buttons that are available to them, i.e., My Listings button only if logged in, Logout button only if logged in, Signin button, if they are not logged. Do the shortcode buttons behave that way, where the system knows what to display? If not, what are your suggestions for this?

You'd need to use a conditional such as user_logged_in http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/is_user_logged_in Are you using widgets? If so there are a few conditional widget display plugins we could try :slight_smile:

5. When the user clicks on a listing, I want them to see an Add Listings button each time for every listing page. What do I need to do to get that to work?

On the actual listing itself or at the top of the page?

6. I want the user to be able to add a listing as soon as they signup. I don't want them redirected to a wp-admin page unless they click on their profile button. How do I get that to work?

You'd need to use something such as http://wordpress.org/plugins/peters-login-redirect/ to redirect them on login :slight_smile:

7. When testing a Paypal Sandbox, after step 3, I'm taken to a separate Paypal page for payment. Is there a way to keep the payment within my site?

Unfortunately there isn't currently, that would require the PayPal Pro gateway, A SSL certificate, though I've added that as a feature request for you :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Keith

Thanks for your much appreciated help, Jack! My comments and more questions are below. I've added 2 other question as well...#8 and #9.

Would you mind if i registered a test account to test this on your site? Could you post a screenshot of the capabilities for the subscriber role in listings > settings > capabilities :slight_smile:

K: Yes, that would be great, I've attached the capabilities screen for the subscriber role.

By default it should be domain.com/listings/add-new Which URL does the shortcode for the add new button generate? Have you set the permalinks as postname in settings > permalinks?

K: Yes, the permalinks are set to postname. It seems that I was able to view the add-new page once I duplicated the same Subscriber role settings in CustomPress. I did notice an inconsistency in the setting choices for the Subscriber role in CustomPress, i.e. Upload Files is not included (screen also attached). I would like users to upload logos and such. So, is it necessary to duplicate role settings withing CustomPress?

Currently you'd need to target the ID's and classes for the directory using something such as firebug or Chrome Developer tools and then use media queries, http://css-tricks.com/css-media-queries/

K: Great, thank you for referencing this resource. I'll experiment!

You'd need to use a conditional such as user_logged_in http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/is_user_logged_in Are you using widgets? If so there are a few conditional widget display plugins we could try :slight_smile:

K: Yes, I am using widgets. Any plugin suggestions to help with that would be great!

On the actual listing itself or at the top of the page?

K: Somewhere, at the top of the page. I just want them to see that they can Add Listings, while viewing Listings. I guess I could include it in the top navigation also, but I was just wondering if there was a global way to do this on all Listings pages.

You'd need to use something such as http://wordpress.org/plugins/peters-login-redirect/ to redirect them on login :slight_smile:

K: Ok, so this plugin will redirect them to /add-listings once they signin? I'll take a look.

Unfortunately there isn't currently, that would require the PayPal Pro gateway, A SSL certificate, though I've added that as a feature request for you :slight_smile:

K: Ok, so once the user pays they have to navigate back to my site to start adding listings or is there a way to link them back from the PayPal page?

8. I would like to allow free listings for a certain time period then change it to paid. How will the subscribers who posted for free be effected, once the setting is changed to paid? Ideally, I would like them to be prompted to pay, the next time they go in to add another listing or edit a listing. Understanding that I will need to create a role for a paid subscriber, can the past "free subscribers" be easily converted to "paid subscribers" automatically?

9. The Listings page is a virtual page that can't be changed in the Pages area. What do I need to do in order to have the Listings page display with a Grid format like this test page? http://www.frolicearth.com/test-listing-home

10. My add-listings page still displays comments, even though I have them turned off. How do I turn comments off for this page? http://frolicearth.com/listings/add-listing/

Many, many thanks!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Keith,

Hope you're well today and thanks for the additional information.

K: Yes, that would be great, I've attached the capabilities screen for the subscriber role.

I've just created a test account and it seemed to work correctly and allow me to the add listing screen (screenshot attached).

So, is it necessary to duplicate role settings withing CustomPress?

It would be necessary to update the role settings within CustomPress for the post type if they don't match :slight_smile:

K: Yes, I am using widgets. Any plugin suggestions to help with that would be great!

This one should work for you https://wordpress.org/plugins/dynamic-widgets/

K: Ok, so this plugin will redirect them to /add-listings once they signin? I'll take a look.

In the plugin you can setup a custom redirect to send them to add-listings when they login :slight_smile:

Ok, so once the user pays they have to navigate back to my site to start adding listings or is there a way to link them back from the PayPal page?

They should be automatically redirect back to the site within 10 seconds and there should be a back to site link :slight_smile:

I would like to allow free listings for a certain time period then change it to paid. How will the subscribers who posted for free be effected, once the setting is changed to paid? Ideally, I would like them to be prompted to pay, the next time they go in to add another listing or edit a listing. Understanding that I will need to create a role for a paid subscriber, can the past "free subscribers" be easily converted to "paid subscribers" automatically?

Currently you can switch at any time, but if your allowing paid listings, the the free wouldn't work, so you'd need to disable paid listings, then after say 2 weeks change that back to paid listings and then when they next go to add listings, they'd need to pay :slight_smile:

9. The Listings page is a virtual page that can't be changed in the Pages area. What do I need to do in order to have the Listings page display with a Grid format like this test page? http://www.frolicearth.com/test-listing-home

Out of the box directory doesn't have a grid display for listings, but my colleague @Patrick Cohen may be able to come up with some css for you :slight_smile:

Do you need comments on other pages/post or would you like to remove comments from everywhere? Please advise :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Keith

Thanks Patrick, I get a server not found page when trying to view your link, but judging from the screenshot, that's almost exactly how I have my theme setup. By Grid, I meant getting the Directory plugin to display listings in a grid format like this page: http://frolicearth.com/test-listing-home/ but on the default Listing page, which Directory includes as a virtual page which can not be edited through Pages. This is how the default "Listings" page displays listings with the Pinboard theme: http://frolicearth.com/listings/

I got the grid to display on the test page by using a shortcode from the Directory plugin, but it makes sense to find a way to edit the Listings page, which was my question.

• Keith

Hi @Jack,

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate your patience with me!

Sorry, I didn't see that you added a listing in your test account and I didn't see a screenshot. When you added a listing did it allow you to publish it? It should have been pending review. Also, when you arrived at the wp-admin page, did you notice that the Add Listing link at the top does not work (plus sign drop down menu)? Only the Add Listing on the left column takes you to the Add Listing screen. The one at the top errors out...I've attached the error message.

Is there a way to customize the wp-admin screen that the Subscribers get routed to? For example, I don't think they need to see anything that has to do with Wordpress or Comments or other people's listings. I just want them to be able to edit their profile and view/add/edit/delete only their own listings.

Regarding the role settings used in Directory, have you heard anything about settings being changed back? For example, I don't want Subscirbers to be able to Publish their listings until they are approved, so I had that setting turned off (not selected) in CustomPress, then when I return to the CustomPress screen sometimes I see that the setting was changed back to being selected. This is happening with the Listings Settings/Capabilities also, where I want Subscribers to be able to Add their Listings (I have this checked, but sometimes this checkbox changes back to being unchecked on its own).

Regarding Comments, I want them turned on for all Posts, but not for certain pages. I'm aware of how to turn off comments for each page, but I don't understand why my add-listings page has comments turned on even though I turned if off for that page. I believe that's a virtual page also, so that goes back to me trying to understand how I can edit all of all these "virtual pages" so they look the way I want. Where can I access these virtual pages? (http://www.frolicearth.com/listings/add-listing)

I have more questions about the way each Listing displays, for example: http://frolicearth.com/listing/arbor/ Do you know why there is a Contact User button that appears? What is the purpose of this button and how can I turn it off? Do you know how I can get this page to accept hyperlinks to display? Also, I want the text to be aligned left not centered (again, this part is probably where I need to know how to edit this virtual page).

Thanks!
    Keith

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Keith,

Hope you're well today, sorry my screenshot didn't attach.

I've just attached it to this post now :slight_smile:

It did indeed allow me publish though I'm not sure if it's pending review, I didn't get the permissions issue, it just simply directed me to the front-end form :slight_smile:

That contact user button should be able to be disabled in the settings of directory in listings > settings :slight_smile:

You can't edit Virtual pages as they are virtual pages created by plugins on install if that makes sense, which makes them uneditable within WordPress.

For the permissions issue, could you grant me support staff access via the WPMU DEV dashboard > support > support access, click grant access and I'll take a look at this for you :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Keith

Hi @Jack,

Support access is granted now. Thanks for the screenshot, yes, I've been able to reach the Add Listing page now and publish. I didn't see any pending listings from you though.

I was able to disable the Contact User button, thanks to your help!

More questions:

-Ok, since the virtual pages can't be edited within wordpress, how would I control the look of them and what they display? Things like a comments area in the add-listing page should be disabled. The Listings page is really my main concern where I want it to display in a grid format. Can I replace the virtual listings page with my own custom page? Seems like everything revolves around the virtual listings page.

-I see that there's a style-directory.css file that I can update to make some style changes like how a listing aligns text, but how do I get the listing to display hyperlinks? I want them to be able to promote their websites and email addresses in their listings page. I've tried using http://www and it all displays as text and not hyperlinks.

-On a listing page, how would I control the size of the image, which they can upload? I want their images, like logos, to all display in the same size.

-Is there a way to customize what displays in the wp-admin screen that the Subscribers get routed to after they signup?

Thanks,
    Keith

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Keith,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

I've checked this and I noticed you also have another directory plugin, this may conflict with ours, though it doesn't appear to be currently.

-Ok, since the virtual pages can't be edited within wordpress, how would I control the look of them and what they display? Things like a comments area in the add-listing page should be disabled. The Listings page is really my main concern where I want it to display in a grid format. Can I replace the virtual listings page with my own custom page? Seems like everything revolves around the virtual listings page.

As Directory is a custom post type, you could write a custom page template for directory and it's custom fields, using WP_QUERY, that would be the only way to adjust the actual output, http://codex.wordpress.org/Class_Reference/WP_Query

For making the Directory links clickable, you can use my plugin here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/custom-press-plugin-has-option-only-for-custom-type-plain-text?replies=3#post-590504 :slight_smile:

On a listing page, how would I control the size of the image, which they can upload? I want their images, like logos, to all display in the same size.

In wp-admin > settings > media, make sure the thumbnail size is set the same :slight_smile:

-Is there a way to customize what displays in the wp-admin screen that the Subscribers get routed to after they signup?

There are a few different ways, did you want to edit the menu items, the welcome screen or something else? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.