I'm having some issues blocking content on my membership

Hello, I'm having some issues blocking content on my membership site.

I have it configured like this:

mysite.com for blogging and such

member.mysite.com for premium content

I have the Membership plugin network activated. I was trying to add a URL group to block my premium content, here is what I had:

URL group:
mysite.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/premiumcontent

member.mysite.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/premiumcontent

I added the url group to the visitor access level. (under negative rule)

Nothing seams to change after these settings are applied.

Note: I was not logged in when testing to see if it worked nor was I on the same computer.

Guidance would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

• aristath

Hello there @Booker, I hope you're well today!

The membership plugin when network-activated works on a per-site basis!
    This means that it will have to be configured separately for your main site and your members site, and in addition they will be completely separate and different, without any connection!
    What is it exactly that you want to do?
    Perhaps we can find another way to achieve your goal...

Please advise,
    Ari.

• Booker

Hey Ari, thanks for the reply. I'm trying to block visitors from getting to member.mysite.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/premiumcontent

I figured out that it was separate, but heres the problem, a visitor could access my premium uploads from my blog site (mysite.com) by simply going to mysite.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/premiumcontent

So i added the URL group to both member.mysite.com and mysite.com in hopes to block all non members from accessing the premium content.

• aristath

@Booker
    So you don't want to protect your content but specific uploads, right?
    The Membership plugin can be used to protect the content of your site and ALL your uploads. But it can't be used to protect specific folders in your uploads folder...
    What you can do though is protect the links to these files.
    So if you have links in your site to your files, you can enclose them in the access level shortcodes.
    It will not "block" access to your uploads folder but this way users that are not members will not know where these files are and thus they will not be able to get them.
    Only registered members will be able to see the link and download your files.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• aristath

Hello there!
    As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this thread as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and, as always, for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.