I'm lost. The former Membership plugin had subscription

Hello, I'm lost. The former Membership plugin had subscription functionality. It wasn't the best setup but it did the job. With Membership pro 2 I can't seem to figure out how to make it work they way I want.

Basically, what it was (also what I'd like to see with MP2), is members could register as a user for free. (But usually registered first when choosing desired subscription.) Then subscribe to a variety of 4 subscriptions that cost (x) amount of dollars each, recurring each week, with trial period and cancel anytime. And when logged in they can dynamically tell which subscription they are signed up for. And depending on their subscription there is a page or pages that show their subscription's content. Each piece of content/page wrapped in shortcode pertaining to appropriate subscription. And not having to register for "multiple memberships" via registration form.

With Membership 2 it seems I can only create memberships with the recurring payment structure then only having protected content for that ONE membership. If done this way, I'd have to create something like 15 different membership levels with each combination of the 4 subscriptions. Maybe more, or some other complex set-up of 4 groups with various tears membership levels. The management would be a nightmare.

How is the best way to set-up a subscription model with only one member registration? Do I need to utilize an add-on?

-Andy

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Andy,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

The latest Membership 2 Pro plugin version is the enhanced version of old Membership plugin so it contains almost all the functionality of old plugin and some new functionality.

We have changed the user interface of new Membership plugin so initially you may face difficulty in finding the desired functionality.

You can achieve this by activating the "Shortcode Protection" and "Trial Period" Membership add-ons on the following path as shown in the attached screenshot.

Admin Area -> Membership 2 -> Add-ons

Then for free members you can either create a "Default Membership" the content of which is available to all logged-in users that did not join any other Membership yet or just create a paid membership and enable the Trial period for it as shown in the attached screenshots.

The members can see their subscribed memberships on the memberships page that you have set in the memberships plugin settings as shown in the attached screenshot.

You can protect the content using memberships shortcodes which you will find on the memberships listings page in the admin area as shown in the attached screenshot.

Find more information about usage of this plugin on the following page.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/#product-usage

Please advise if you have more questions.

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• KerplunkDesign

Hello,
    I've gone through and begun this process but I'm still having major problems with the functionality of everything and I don't seem to have my users anymore. Also, trying to sign up for a membership isn't working, the form won't submit. And when I try and update the status of a test account, I'm getting this notification:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Registration is currently not allowed.' in /home/bookwormsports/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/model/class-ms-model-member.php:984 Stack trace: #0 /home/bookwormsports/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/model/class-ms-model-member.php(939): MS_Model_Member->create_new_user() #1 /home/bookwormsports/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/controller/class-ms-controller-member.php(368): MS_Model_Member->save() #2 [internal function]: MS_Controller_Member->members_admin_page_process_editor('':wink: #3 /home/bookwormsports/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php(503): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #4 /home/bookwormsports/public_html/wp-admin/admin.php(226): do_action('load-membership...':wink: #5 {main} thrown in /home/bookwormsports/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/model/class-ms-model-member.php on line 984

Things seem all messed up. I've granted access through the WPMUDEV dashboard. Could someone take a look and maybe give me pointers on where I might be going wrong?

Thanks in advance.
    Andy

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello KerplunkDesign,

Could you check if this is not caused by the plugin or theme conflict?
    Switch to the default WordPress theme for while and turn off other plugins - see if this helps with the registration issues.
    Registration is turned off on your site (Settings -> General), so this is probably causing this fatal error you see.
    Also, did you run the import from old Membership - please see the screenshot. This way you should get back all users in the Membership.

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• KerplunkDesign

Hello,
    Thanks for the reply. I don't see why there would be a plugin-theme conflict. If this update is based on the original then it should be fine. I've added no other plugins either. I can't switch themes. I need to keep sight as is. I will have to create a test sight from scratch to do that test.

I did the import from old Membership and data seemed to come in fine but the subscription/membership levels are all screwy. Because of the wonky way they were set up in the old version to get the functionality for what I needed.

Also, I'm having an issue just trying to set up another test member. Which is weird because I've seen one person have success with signing up, although everything isn't in perfect working mode. When I try to sign up as a new member I get a "please enter same value again" message on the register page. Happens with no matter what I put in. See attached screen shot. I'm still so very lost.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Andy,

I've gone through and begun this process but I'm still having major problems with the functionality of everything and I don't seem to have my users anymore.

Your users are still there in the All members with the All users filter on. There are 4 pages of members.

Also I've just tested registration on the page using the

[ms-membership-register-user]

and this is working fine, no error, I was able to register second user (wpmudev1 - as I added manually user wpmudev).
    Can you check again?

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• KerplunkDesign

Hello,
    Ok yes, I've now gone in and was able to sign up for membership with no problems. But once signed in the functionality still isn't working correctly nor is the trial period configuration. First when I'm signed in and I try to access a page that I've protected and given the proper rules to, I still get the protected content message and can't access the page. (image attached) And when i receive the info from PayPal about the subscription, it doesn't have the trial period info like it has in the past. It just says it will bill the cost in one week, when I've set it to have a 14 day free trial.... (Screen Shots attached, I've blacked out any sort of sensitive info). I've extended the support access.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello KerplunkDesign,

I've tested issue with pages not showing it's content when logged in but it is no longer there. I've checked the "subscriptions" page and after login with test account I was redirected to right page.
    However I can't test any other membership with trial because you disabled them. Can you check if you are using PayPal Standard Gateway not the Single Gateway? Only standard one allows for trials periods.

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• KerplunkDesign

Hello.
    Figures, something simple as disabling and reenabling the "Allow payment gateway" in the Payment options reinstated the trial period on the billing.

Thank you everyone who helped with in this thread, I've retained basic functionality for what I'm looking for with memberships/subscriptions. I do have a more questions/issues with look/design with certain elements of the plugin and what is displayed to new members and/or returning subscribers. But I'm going to open these under a new post.

Thank you!
    Andy

• KerplunkDesign

I'm sorry, I spoke too soon. I'm once again getting problems with basic functionality. And I'm posting here to show how many ridiculous problems I'm having with what is simple functionality that should be simple to set up and work. This is completely and utterly frustrating to have to do for such an expensive product.

Below are recurring/new problems I'm having.

1. Can not register new user for testing. "Please enter the same value again" error appears when putting in a password. When in fact I am putting in the same value. Tested multiple times. (see attached image)

2. Membership short code [ms-membership-signup] to display list of "subsctriptions(memberships)" to users after registration of Default membership. So, again, users should be able to sign up for free to the website under "Default Membership" in membership plugin. Then signup/subscribe to any number of paid "memberships/subscriptions" i.e. "Pro Football Weekly Stats". Once signed up, they can access page with protected content. This was working briefly yesterday but now it is not. I've got the short code in at the top of the page but it is not displaying when I'm logged in and on the Membership page. (see attached image)

3. Redirect function is not working. After logging in, I'm being brought to Account page when I want users to be at Membership page with list of "subscriptions" or additional memberships past the Default membership. I do have a plugin called Peters Redirect, which was overriding any Membership 2 functions. But I've deactivated it but Membership 2's redirect add-on is not working.

I'm at a loss to understand why these things are not working. Especially when they do one day then not the next.
    I'm using updated Safari and Chrome browsers and have tried clearing cache and cookies.
    Also, completely deleting user data in wordpress and thus membership 2.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello KerplunkDesign,

Huh. Yes, the registration is again not working. If this is possible could you send me credentials to your site, so I could do more thorough troubleshoot. You can do that by using our secure contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Subject: "Attn: Kasia Swiderska"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello KerplunkDesign,

I found culprit that is preventing from registration. It is login form at the top bar that is causing this error. So this is theme conflict. I was able to replicate this issue on my site using your theme. I suggest you report that on their support forum as it is paid theme.
    This is code that broke registration (header.php file) line 253:

<div id="header-login" class="clearfix">
    													<form action="<?php echo wp_login_url(); ?>" autocomplete="off" method="post" class="clearfix">
    													<label for="username">Username</label>
    													<input type="text" name="log" id="username" value="" placeholder="<?php _e("Username", "swiftframework"); ?>" size="20" />
    													<label for="username">Password</label>
    													<input type="password" name="pwd" id="password" placeholder="<?php _e("Password", "swiftframework"); ?>" size="20" />
    													<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Login" id="submit" class="sf-button slightlyrounded accent"/>
    													<div class="link-wrap">
    													<a href="<?php echo site_url('/wp-login.php?action=register&redirect_to=' . get_permalink()); ?>" class="register"><?php _e("Register", "swiftframework"); ?></a>
    													<span> / </span>
    													<a href="<?php echo home_url(); ?>/wp-login.php?action=lostpassword" class="recover-password"><?php _e("Forgot login?", "swiftframework"); ?></a>
    													</div>
    													</form>

if you want you can temporary use Membership login form there by replacing this code with this one in your child theme header.php file:

<?php echo do_shortcode('[ms-membership-login]'); ?>

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• KerplunkDesign

Ok so I've finally been able to contact the theme developers. And they said I could use the code you provided in my child header.php.

I'm a little confused, though, and just want to be clear so bear with me because I'm a novice at more intricate code. The code from the parent header.php is what you've posted above.

The similar code in the child header.php (line 257). It is slightly different than the parent code.
    Here is the code from the child header.php:

<div id="header-login" class="clearfix">
    													<form id="login_form" action="<?php echo wp_login_url( $redirect ); ?>" autocomplete="off" method="post" class="clearfix">
    													<label for="username">Username</label>
    													<input type="text" name="log" id="username" value="" placeholder="<?php _e("Username", "swiftframework"); ?>" size="20" />
    													<label for="username">Password</label>
    													<input type="password" name="pwd" id="password" placeholder="<?php _e("Password", "swiftframework"); ?>" size="20" />
    													<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Login" id="submit" class="sf-button slightlyrounded accent"/>
    													<div class="link-wrap">
    													<a href="<?php echo site_url('/account/membership'); ?>" class="register"><?php _e("Register", "swiftframework"); ?></a>
    													<span> / </span>
    													<a href="<?php echo home_url(); ?>/wp-login.php?action=lostpassword" class="recover-password"><?php _e("Forgot login?", "swiftframework"); ?></a>
    													</div>
    													</form>

So, I notice it is slightly different in parts when I read/compare them line for line.

I am to replace this portion of the child header.php code with the single line of code:
    <?php echo do_shortcode('[ms-membership-login]'); ?>
    that you've provided?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.