I'm new to widgets and I think they are the solution

I'm new to widgets and I think they are the solution to a problem I'm trying to solve.

I'm building a page with a large single infographic, but I also want a widget (I think) to hover along side as the user scrolls down the image offering them the ability to contact my company for customer support in case they are confused.

Can you give me some guidance on how I could set that up?

http://www.doodlenoodle.com

Thanks,
Eric

• Luís

Hi @EricGiauque,

Hope you're doing well today

Just to make sure, this widget will have a contact form only and will be sticky? Something like the example shown in the video of the below article:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wordpress-scrolling-sticky-fixed-widget/

If yes, you can try the below plugins:

Create a sticky widget:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/q2w3-fixed-widget/

Create a contact form
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/contact-form-7/

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

• EricGiauque

Hi Luis,

I've downloaded the fixed widget plugin and installed.
    I've also gone into the widget section of my dashboard and created a special menu that I'd like to remain fixed along the right side of a page (or perhaps, I want it visible along all pages, I'm still deciding)
    But I can't figure out how to get the widget to actually show up on any pages.

Can you guide me on that step?

Thanks
    Eric

• Andrea

Hello Eric,

you probably have more than one sidebar within your widget's admin (Appearance>widgets).
    when you put a widget into a sidebar, ti will be displayed only in pages where that sidebar is included, and in the position where your template has positioned that very sidebar.

so as a start, you should have a look on the rightside of the page editor, you should have a box with heading "page attributes".
    you'll have a dropdown there, called "template".
    you should see there if you have a template-layout which has a sidebar, then select it and save the page.
    and ensure you have placed the widgets in the correct sidebar...

I hope this would be of any help.
    cheers!

• EricGiauque

Hi Andrea,

I followed these instructions and used a template layout with a sidebar, but it completely ruined all the functionality of the page.

All of the boxes, text and images I created had been deleted and I'm only left with the side widget menu I created. Rather than being a sticky widget, it does not slide down at all.

You can try this yourself on the page called "overview" in the pages menu.

I just want something intrusive along the side that users can see and click on if they need help.

thanks, Eric

• Andrea

Hello Eric,

How did you build the content of that page? is it a visual composer like drag&drop?

I see that now you've turned back to the default page-template, so I can't tell what happens exactly..
    was the content of the page not displaying at all? or rather it was just messed up and badly aligned?

which was the name of the Page-Template you have selected? could you let me know which options do you have?

and which is the name of the sidebar where you placed the widget?

In any case, as I see that your site is loading each page with some kind of javascript bootstrap, it might be that the sticky-widget plugin is not compatible with your theme..
    but for this we'll have to hear the opinion of a member of the staff, or the developers of that plugin, I'm sorry but I am not so technically expert about this very plugin.

cheers!

• EricGiauque

How did you build the content of that page? is it a visual composer like drag&drop?

...YES...

I see that now you've turned back to the default page-template, so I can't tell what happens exactly..
    was the content of the page not displaying at all? or rather it was just messed up and badly aligned?

...I've attached several screen shots....

which was the name of the Page-Template you have selected? could you let me know which options do you have? and which is the name of the sidebar where you placed the widget?

...See screen shots....

• Andrea

Hi Eric!
    thank you very much for your explanation and screenshot, it's very helpful!

there are 2 things that you might try now, which could at least help us identificate the issue:

1) try deactivating the sticky-scroll from the side-menu widget, and see if the content of the page is displayed.
    also try ensuring that it is the only widget placed into that sidebar

2) another test/attempt might be to use the normal default template, and place the sidebar with Visual Composer, directly within the content.
    it shouldn't be too difficult for you to set the current content to be into a column (say two-thirds wide) and then add another column next to it (one third). look on top of the page editor, you should see the VisualComposer's layout options.
    then if you click to the next tab in VC options (which I think is called something like "elements"), you'll have a list of things that you can add. one of the last is "widgetized area" or something like that (sorry but I don't have VC handy at the moment..).
    add that element to the side column you've just created, and then edit it and select the sidebar that you want to display.

you could give them a go and let me know what happens in those 2 situations.

cheers!

• EricGiauque

Hi Andrea,

I've attached two screen shots of my widgets section in my dashboard. In one of these, I wanted to use my custom side menu. In the second, I removed the menu. When I do that, I get a completely blank page.

Next I went into my plugins and I deactivated the Q2W3 fixed widget plugin. That made no difference to the blank page. (see same screen shot)

I think I understand what you mean by using a column, but I don;t think that works. I can only add static text. (see screeenshot)

• Andrea

Hello Eric,

ok, it seems that the problem is not with the plugin, but rather with the page-template with sidebar.

just to be sure, are you aware that in order to make a widget be sticky, you have to select the "fixed widget" checkbox at the bottom of the widget?

in any case, that might be involved with the fact that your side-menu wasn't being sticky on scroll. but surely the content disappearing is not an issue caused by the sticky-widget plugin. as it happens even when you deactivate it.

regarding the page builder, it seems that it is not the actual Visual Composer plugin, but something else, maybe is actually a functionality of your theme.
    so probably you don't have the options that I was talking about, sorry.

My guess is that the page-template with sidebar is not compatible with the drag and drop page builder, and therefore is not displaying anything.

could you try creating a new page, selecting to use the template with sidebar, and placing only some normal text without using any of the page-builder features?
    I mean that you should have a button or something to switch to normal content, and then add some text into the post editor box, and see if that is displayed correctly in the frontend site.

look at this screenshot, your normal content editor should look something like this:

• Luís

Hi @ericpgiauque,

Hope you're doing well today!

Firslty, sorry for my late reply and all the problems it may have caused.

As @pratello said, you need to check the "fixed widget" field in the widget to make it sticky.

Also you can change some options in Appearance -> Fixed Widget Options.

Not sure what caused the blank page, I tested it in your website, creating a new page and using a fixed widget and it works well.

If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

Note: Thanks @pratello for all the help provided.

• Andrea

you're welcome @Luìs I've seen it was a very general support request, so I've provided a couple of "debugging" suggestions. :wink:

So if you tested in a new page and it was working, the issue is probably that whatever it is used as page-builder it is not supported by the template with sidebar.
    if this is the case, I am afraid that is a problem of the Theme (a pretty nasty lack of functionality, I'd say..) which could be eventually fixed only with some custom editing of the template files..

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.