I'm sorry to bother you, but I'm getting a little

Hi,

I’m sorry to bother you, but I’m getting a little frustrated with WP/BP as a brand new user, it’s been a learning curve!

I’m wondering if you can help me? I’ve installed some of your plugins and some are not working (I think). When I installed BP I could not even get it to show up when I installed the latest 1.9 version, so I tried earlier installations and 1.6 was the only one I could get to show up.

I’m having issues such as not being able to display themes (switcher), overlapping social bar, having issues with how the wiki links are displayed, the Android and iOS apps won’t install, the bbpress theme won’t install, the languages won’t install… Just issue after issue.

I believe it’s probably me configuring BP/WP arse backwards or because I’m using an older version of BP (not by choice), or probably both.

The thing I can’t face is deleting wordpress and BP and re-installing it all from scratch, when it’s taken me almost a week of day and night working to get it to a stage where it is.

Is there a way I can copy all my content/data/plugins/themes etc, delete the 1.6 version (and maybe WP), re-install the latest versions of both and add the saved data back? Can you please help me install the latest version of BP? as there are many other WP plugins that are not working with this version of BP (1.6.1 I think).

Please, can you help me with this? I don’t have enough knowledge yet to install and configure it to work properly. My site URL is http://uncoveringtruths.com/thecommunity/

• rosh
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hey Marcus,

I’m sorry for your experience with WordPress but it is best way to create your site even for beginners! Once you get the basics, you’ll love it!

Now coming to your problems, I see that you are using Frisco which is my favorite of BuddyPress themes and have worked perfectly well for me. The major problem I think might be that you’ve installed an older version of Buddypress which doesnot support the latest WordPress versions. I would advice you to get the latest one.

One thing you need to realise is that Buddypress network won’t show up unless your theme supports it or has a child theme specifically for Buddypress. So the last time you installed BuddyPress 1.9, was Frisco enabled?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @marcus,

Hope you’re well today and thanks for your questions, sorry to hear of the issues your having here.

On the iOS and Android apps, those aren’t plugins and won’t install, rather they are source code and instructions on how to create your own apps :slight_smile:

That’s get BuddyPress sorted first, all the other plugins you have installed, are some configured as you want?

I’d like to check your install take it back to the barebones install of WordPress, then delete BuddyPress and try re-installing the latest if that’s ok with you?

Could you send me the following information please.

-A link to this thread

-cPanel

-FTP

WP admin logins.

Please send to contact(at)wpmudev.org with the subject line Attn: Jack Kitterhing

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• Jeff
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I’ll go with Jack, check plugins!

First deactivate all plugins including BP. Then ona clean theme install BP and sort it out (config, settings etc). When it works and you are happy install the other plugins one by one.

• Marcus
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

@rosh I think the problem is that Frisco theme retired the bp-default theme in the 1.9 update, so I’m getting the error message that ‘parent theme is missing’.

@jack & Jeff, I have disabled all plugins, but the problem happened before any plugins were installed. I think it’s the Frisco theme relying on the retired bp-default theme.

Does anyone know a mod/hack for this?

I’ve tried this http://codex.buddypress.org/themes/bp-default-theme-moving-forward-with-bp-1-9/ but it hasn’t worked…

Anyone have any ideas on a work around?? Help greatly appreciated!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.