I;m trying to create subdomains and I need to deactivate

I;m trying to create subdomains and I need to deactivate plugins. Most are deactivated but it's impossible to deactivate: Meta Box and Quema Labs Add-ons.

It notifies they're deactivated but they remain active.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Tim,

Hope you're doing well today and welcome to the WPMU DEV Community!

It's possible something on your install requires those plugins and is forcing them to remain active, perhaps your theme. Try swapping to the default 2015 theme and see if you can then deactivate them?

If not, then I would go in through FTP and simply re-name those plugin folders or delete them all together, that way they will be forced to deactivate :slight_smile:

If you still need any further assistance with this just let us know!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tim

OK, yes understood
    But, if I swap to the default theme, when I revert to my chosen theme will I lose any settings or style changes, etc., etc., etc.,? In my inexperience it sounds quite a drastic thing to do! I remember doing it accidentally on a Wordpress hosted site and a lot changed.
    And if I delete the two plugins that are persistently clinging-on, how do I get them back again when I've created the subdomain. Would it be best to remove them from the host's server and temporarily put them on my computer, in order to re-install at the later date?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Tim,

Usually settings should not be lost when switching themes, as they are saved in the database. I say usually, because there are a few themes that may not. It's always a good idea to do a full back up before doing any tests, or doing tests on a sandbox install instead.

Swapping to default 2015 is a very common debugging practice though as it's the fastest way to ensure your theme isn't causing an issue :slight_smile:

And if I delete the two plugins that are persistently clinging-on, how do I get them back again when I've created the subdomain.

Yes, keeping a copy of them would be a good idea, if they came with your theme then you should be able to find a copy on your themes sites too I would imagine - so once you want them back then just upload their folders back into the plugins folder via /wp-content/plugins/

and they will show up in your backend plugins list so you can activate them.

Hope that helps! Any further questions just let us know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.