I'm working on getting domain mapping working again after

Hi,
I'm working on getting domain mapping working again after putting that on a shelf for a while. I got the plug-in downloaded, unpacked, installed in public_html, sunrise.php moved and the line of code added to wp-config.php as directed in the usage tab. It is network activated. For practice I have my own new domain name herbdyedsilk.com that I want to map to my wordpress multisite herbdyedsilk.catrinasgarden.com. I configured it in the network admin panel with my IP address and then tried to go to the admin panel for that site and I get this message

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@herbdyedsilk.catrinasgarden.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

When I try to view the herb dyed silk site from either domain name I get the default html from my host. I also tried removing the 4 lines of code as directed on the settings page of the domain mapping plug-in on the network admin dashboard.

I did assign the domain herbdyedsilk.com to my hosting as an "addon" through my hosts c-panel. Could this be the problem?

What should I do next.
Thanks,
Catrina

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Catrina

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

I did assign the domain herbdyedsilk.com to my hosting as an "addon" through my hosts c-panel. Could this be the problem?

No, not at all. In fact, this is the easiest solution.

In the domain panel of herbdyedsilk.com did you set the correct nameserver of the host where you have added as add on domain?
    If yes, then did you point to catrinasgarden.com for herbdyedsilk.com site when you added as add on domain?

Please let me know.

Cheers
    Ashj

• Catrina
    • Flash Drive

Well I did not actually set the name server, but now I did go into the herbdyedsilkcom domain panel to check it and the name servers are in fact the same as my catrinasgarden.com site. Catrina's garden is my only primary site so it seems that this all happened automatically. Are you saying that if I had more than one primary site that I would have had to choose which one to point it to?
    So let me get this straight. Is the purpose of the domain mapping plug in to organize the subdomains (is that the same as add on domains?) within my multi site or is it an alternate way of pointing domain names to my site (c-panel of my host being the other way)?
    Is it possible that this domain has simply not resolved yet if I did it 3 days ago?
    Next, If I have customers that want to host on my multi site but they have an existing website (with domain name) that is hosted elsewhere I would need to log into the host where their domain name is and enter my name servers. Is that correct? Then configure their site with domain manager to point to the part of my multi site where their store will be. Example Kaiserfarms.com pointed to kaiserfarms.catrinasgarden.com .
    What will happen to their existing site when we do this? They will eventually have a wordpress site, but right now their site is a standard html/css site. Would that be displayed within my wordpress site or would it not work? I understand that I would have to upload their pages via ftp.
    Lastly, can anyone now sign up to host their pages on my multisite and get free hosting? Or, is there a setting that prevents them from doing this without my permission. If so where is that? I understand that this can be done with pro-sites, but that will be the next step. Can I set up sites manually now myself and not let other users do it yet?
    Thanks,
    Catrina

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hi there

Let me simplify the procedure.

For example, your main site is network.com
    You have two subsites:
    1. one.network.com
    2. two.network.com
    These two subsites you want to map with following domains repectively:
    1. one.com
    2. two.com

So, if anyone enter one.com in the browser, it should show the site of one.network.com. Same for two.com

So, there are two scenarios now. Either you own all the domains, or you don't. First I think you own all the domains.

network.com site is hosted in a hosting whose nameservers are:
    ns1.networkhost.com
    ns2.networkhost.com

So, you have entered these nameservers for network.com domain panel. You have to set same nameservers for one.com and two.com domains too.

Then you will add one.com and two.com domains as add on domain in the same hosting of network.com, and make sure you point them to the network.com wordpress root folder. So that if any one enter one.com or two.com it shows network.com site.

After that, you will add the domains in corresponding subsites using domain panel plugin, and the mapped domain will start working.

Now, if you don't own the domains, then you will need a dedicated IP. I know you won't have access to the domain panel of your customers so that you can't set name servers in there. So, you will pass them you IP and they need to set a DNS record for their domain and point to that IP. Only then domain panel will work.

Is it possible that this domain has simply not resolved yet if I did it 3 days ago?

We normally tell to wait 72 hours maximum, but honestly most of the time it works within 2/3 hours.

Lastly, can anyone now sign up to host their pages on my multisite and get free hosting? Or, is there a setting that prevents them from doing this without my permission. If so where is that? I understand that this can be done with pro-sites, but that will be the next step. Can I set up sites manually now myself and not let other users do it yet?

Please go to Network Admin > Settings > Network Settings and then disable registration from there, so that no one can register.

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• Catrina
    • Flash Drive

Thanks for helping me.

I am still getting the server error message that I showed you above when I try to access the dashboard of the site to be mapped.

My host recommended that I change it from an addon domain to a parked domain. Addon would be placed in the home/catrina folder that has the mail, backup, access, passwords, ect as well as the public_html folder which is where my wordpress install is. The parked domain puts it in the public_html folder.

Is this why a dedicated IP is needed? My host keeps telling me that it is not needed.

Also I need to get this straight if I have the setting set to allow registration they give me their contact info and I set up the site. If I have the users may register new sites checked then they could get free hosting from me until I get pro sites set up. Is that correct? If I have it set to registration is disabled how will I know that I have a potential customer?

I'm reading the related topics too, but still not getting it.

Please explain exactly why the dedicated IP is needed. I think that may be the problem, but I don't want to pay for the dedicated IP if my host says it is not needed and if this is not going to work.

Thanks,
    Cathy

• Catrina
    • Flash Drive

Hi,
    I've been doing some reading of old posts which answered some questions but created more. In this post the person seems to be having the exact same problem as me.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/internal-server-error-after-creating-new-site
    Some things that I learned. New domains must be parked on your wordpress site not addon. Please have a look at the screenshot of my files and let me know if it looks like things are set up correctly.
    Some of the posts talk about how the IP address must be static not changing. My host insures me that even though it is not an dedicated IP that it is static. The numbers have not changed since I have had the account. Is there a different reason why I would need a dedicated IP address?
    There is a lot of talk in this post about the possibility that the .htaccess files and/or the sunrise.php files may have changed with different versions of the plug in. I did install this over a year ago, but I have done updates as they came along. How can I insure that I have the correct version of these files and is it true that these would have to be manually updated when new versions come out?
    This post also recommends this blog post https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-map-domains-with-the-wpmu-dev-domain-mapping-plugin/ which I will go through with a fine to see if I can find the problem. Thanks Mason, nice work. I could delete everything and start from scratch but I do have content on my multisite so if I didn't have to do that over it would be better.
    Please help. I still can't access the dashboard of my site and it is still showing default html from my host.
    Thanks,
    Cathy

• Catrina
    • Flash Drive

Hi again,
    Here is the sunrise.php file that I have and the .htaccess file that I have. Can you tell if they are the correct ones?
    Also somewhere I saw to remove this from the wp,config file if it wasn't working (but now I can't find where I saw that). Should I put this back?

define( 'DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'catrinasgarden.com' );
    define( 'PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/' );
    define( 'SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );
    define( 'BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );

I almost started redoing it from scratch but I found that I wasn't sure how to even go about resetting it to how it was before I started and didn't want to mess it up further.

Please help.
    Thanks to Mason, Paul Barthmaier, Temporal sales, ashok and Ingrid who helped me understand this better. Points to all if I ever get this figured out.
    Cathy

• Catrina
    • Flash Drive

Oh My! It's solved!
    Can you say user error? When I first purchased my domain (this was a while ago so I forgot that I did this). My subsite was herbdyedsilks and it seems I misspelled when I purchased the domain and purchased herbdyedsilk instead. So...stupidly...I changed my subsite to match it...removing the s. Then I went through and followed the directions to map it and I was getting the problems as described above.

Today I was about to delete the subsite and start over when suddenly I remembered that I did this. I edited the subsite again to put back the s and IT WORKED. I now have it mapped and can go on to map all of my other sites. I know understand that it really doesn't matter what your supsites and your domains to be mapped are called and I have a better overall understanding of how this all works.

I also discovered at the bottom of the usage tab of the domain mapping plug in some answers to my dedicated IP or not questions. I will study these and adjust accordingly.

Thanks again,
    Catrina

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hi there

I am really sorry for the delay, in fact it happened because I am working from a different time zone.

I am really glad to hear that your issue is solved.

One thing I want to make clear that, if you add as an add on domain, it will work too. When you add an add on domain, you can point the public folder for that domain to the main public_html, so that's not an issue at all :slight_smile:

Personally I prefer to add as add on domain so that if in anytime I remove the domain from domain mapping plugin I can set a new folder for that create a simple index.html file in 5 mins for that domain.

Cheers
    Ash

• Catrina
    • Flash Drive

Thank you for bringing up that point.
    Would this then be a solution for someone who does not use wordpress at this time but wants to switch over? For example we put their standard html/css site on my hosting as an addon while we work on their wordpress site and then when it is ready we activate the domain mapping plug in and map their domain to the wordpress supdomain.
    If this is true do the old html pages need to be deleted when we make the switch? Will the old index.html page cause a problem?
    One question to tie things up and one more thing that I'm not quite understanding yet.
    First; the 4 "define" lines that I took out of the wp-config file because things were not working (they are shown in the post above the screen shots above). They were not really the problem, the misspelling was. Should I put them back?
    Then the thing that I don't quite get yet is the different registration levels. I understand "registration is disabled". Is it true that if I check "users may register new sites" that anyone could get free hosting from me at this time? What would be the benefit to me and to my user if I check "User accounts may be registered"?
    Thank you again. Once I map a few more sites so that I have something to work with I will work on the next thing...pro sites.
    Catrina

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hi @Catrina

You can do it without editing wp-config file, but you need to edit the path for mapped domain.

For example, your main domain is network.com and mapped domain is map.com.

You will add map.com as an add on domain in your cpanel and point to /public_html/map.com/ folder where you will put just simple html - css files. When you are done in that corresponding subsites, then you need to change the pointed directory for map.com from /public_html/map.com/ to /public_html/.

That means, when you want a domain to work as a mapped domain, that domain must be pointed to root of network wordpress installation.

Please let me know if it is still unclear or if you have any confusion :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• Catrina
    • Flash Drive

Great, I think I finally understand that.
    What about the 4 define lines that I removed. Are they important?
    Then the thing that I don't quite get yet is the different registration levels. I understand "registration is disabled". Is it true that if I check "users may register new sites" that anyone could get free hosting from me at this time? What would be the benefit to me and to my user if I check "User accounts may be registered"?
    Thank you,
    Catrina

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

What about the 4 define lines that I removed. Are they important?

If you don't have any issues in that site with those code, then it's recommended to add those code.

Let me explain about the registration settings:

Registration is disabled.

No one can register in your site.

User accounts may be registered.

Any user can register in your site and their role will be default role, by default the role is subscriber.

Logged in users may register new sites.

Any user can register in your site and their role will be default role, by default the role is subscriber. And then that user can register new subsite in your network.

Both sites and user accounts can be registered.

Any user can register in your site, either as a normal subscriber or as a site owner.

There is nothing related hosting in here. If an user creates an site in your network, he will be admin of that site and will be able to use the feature that you keep open for him.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.