Image optimization fail

Hi,
I'm keep running the bulk smush tool and it stops about half way, then says I still have 250 image that need re-sizing.

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Thomas , hope you're doing well!

Thank you for granting access to your site. After bulk smushing images the following message showed up:
    /wp-content/uploads/2015/09 is not writable

Would you please try applying proper file permissions to the /uploads/ files of your WordPress install.
    Please check all folders permissions in this path /wp-content/uploads/2015/09. if they are set to 744, if not, please set them to 744.

Please see here how to apply properly the folder permissions:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/understanding-file-permissions/

Let me know how it went!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Thomas
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Denitsa,

I got the permissions set properly, re-rant the smush on all images, but still getting a horrible score (14). That's worse than before the full smush. It seems like some of the images aren't actually being effected, even though it says all 400+ have been. I'm at a loss. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

TB

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hello Thomas,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

We have not reported such issue before, between Hummingbird and Thrive Themes. The plugin is compatible to work with all themes built according to WordPress coding standards.

Regarding your issue of image optimization score. It appears that you are using full sized images on your site and using Smush with default settings. By default WP Smush does not include original images since most themes use thumbnails (small sized images cropped or resized proportionally out of full image) on frontend of site instead of full images.

In this case, you can enable "Include my original full-size images" option from WP Dashboard -> Media -> WP Smush -> Settings.

You may also would want to take backup of your original images too by enabling "Make a copy of my original images" from WP Dashboard -> Media -> WP Smush -> Settings.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance!

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hello Thomas,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

As described earlier, some themes use full sized images instead of thumbnails (smaller versions of the original image).

Whereas, WP Smush does not smush original images by default.

So after enabling the "Include my original full-size images" option from WP Dashboard -> Media -> WP Smush -> Settings will include original images too.

You may also like to take backup of your original images too by enabling "Make a copy of my original images" from WP Dashboard -> Media -> WP Smush -> Settings. In case you don't like the optimization results and you have a backup to restore.

Please share the link to your site so I could check where things are at and make a suggestion accordingly.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.