Image Optimization issue

I have WP Smush Pro and EWWW Optimization installed and use each plugin to optimize the images and still have a low score of 30. I do not understand why and what else can I do with images to increase this score?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Jen,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

I tested your site on Google Page speed and the thing here is that Google page speed test has two reports for image optimization.

1. Losslessly compressing - This one's is telling that image can be optimized and that's what smushing does.

2. Compressing and resizing - This tells us that image is larger than its actual HTML holder.

The second one is what's shown in your results, for example on your homepage under Activities section let's use "400 State Trail" post for explanation.
    Featured image loaded for that post is 1863x1194 pixels but the actual holder of that image is only 222x142 pixels so the image is resized with CSS to fit in that holder.

Unfortunately this is not something Smush can deal with since the theme code is written in the way to call the larger image, and even though the image is compressed google doesn't like loading image larger than its holder, so this is something you need to check with the theme devs.

Hope this makes sense and let us know if you have any followup questions.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.