Image resizing per site or generally…

Hi there,

I activated ImSanity networkwide. A nice plugin that resizes large image uploads from customers to a reasonable size.

Now I have a new customer, a photographer. You can guess: I want him to upload larger pictures.

How do you guys an galls deal with this??

Do you have this or another plugin to manage large customer image uploads.

As far as I can see now, I have these options:

– put the new client outside the network, in a separate install

– de-activate ImSanity sitewide and activate per site

– your input??

Curious how you think about this.

Thx and cheers,

Ronald

• foodfriendfinder
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Ronald I’m not sure if I understand your question correctly but :

if you go to Network Admin….Settings….at the bottom of the page is Upload Settings

You can increase file upload size there. or

looking at Imsanity plugin you can adjust image settings there?

• Ronald
    • The Crimson Coder

Yes, that’s for all uploads.

But with ImSanity I can limit the IMAGE uploads to (for example) 1024 x 768 pixels and jpg quality 80.

That’s a file size of perhaps max 150 k?

I can’t set this in the admin settings, customers wouldn’t be able to uploads a pdf or a mp3…

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ronald,

Thank you for this great question.

What size images are you referring to?

What is the size of your maximum upload setting?

Are you running WordPress Solo or a MultiSite?

Do you get timeouts during large uploads?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Ronald
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Joe,

Thx for asking, excuse me for not being clear.

I am referring to this plugin:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/imsanity/

You can set the max. allowed image width, height and jpg quality.

This prevents non-tech customers to upload 20 MB pictures from their digital camera for a post thumbnail.

No time-outs, that’s not the problem.

I use this plugin on a WP multisite install with 35 mapped domains. Network activated.

Max upload quotum per site is about 250 MB (why do you ask? This is the total of uploads, isn’t it?). Off course one can set the max size of images in the site-admin panel under media settings, but this does not prevent large uploads.

The questions that came up are:

– how do you people manage image uploads?

– is there perhaps a better plugin?

– is it better to de-activate ImSanity networkwide and set it on a per site basis?

– more advise?

Thx and cheers!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ronald,

Thank you for the additional input which certainly clarifies things.

Max upload quotum per site is about 250 MB (why do you ask? This is the total of uploads, isn’t it?).

I was referring to something completely different regarding this and with your answer it clarified that this my query is not relative.

how do you people manage image uploads?

To the best of my knowledge via the bbPress v 1.0 facilities, though nobody is going to tell us exactly how it is done on WPMU Dev, the construction of the site remains proprietary information and I am not even privileged to this compartmentalized heavily custom coded site.

is there perhaps a better plugin?

This would be certainly a subjective item. Personally I like Simple Image Sizes plugin though I do not know if it will meet your specific goals – subjective.

is it better to de-activate ImSanity networkwide and set it on a per site basis?

If it is truly MultiSite compatible I would suggest network activated, but considering that one customer I would say that site by site would be a realistic solution.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ronald,

Thank you for letting me know.

I have already marked this ticket as resolved and must do so since it is technically resolved – there is not an issue with one of our products in which I am sure you understand.

However, anyone can post anytime they want and are certainly welcome to do so.

Actually I have decided to mark it as not resolved and let it float on my screen for a couple of days and lets see what happens.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.