image upload to Media Library still necessary if images are already in a folder on the web server?

Hello wmpmudev-team,

I have images on my web server stored which I want to use for my wordpress site. Now my question, do I still need to download them to my computer and import them in the wordpress media library? If so, how can I do that? I saw in the media library is a URL upload option, but not sure how to use that.

Thank you, mikkolaus

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya @mikkolaus

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

do I still need to download them to my computer and import them in the wordpress media library?

No, its not necessary. Its just that images are easier to manage if you do that :slight_smile:

However using URL groups is easier than you think :slight_smile:

Whenever you want to insert a post anywhere on the site (Post, Page etc) click the insert media icon in the visual editor >> Select Insert from URL >> Type The Image URL (Which can be picked directly from the location where your images are uploaded (Eg. yoursite.com/imagepath/imagename.png etc.) and click insert image to post.

Fairly easy huh ?

I have also found a post here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-bulk-upload-files-to-the-wordpress-media-library-using-ftp/ which you will find useful :slight_smile:

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.