Images looking blurry and hazy

My client is complaining that many of the images on this site are not clear. I tried a bunch of different things, and the only thing I can come up with is the maybe they are being compressed so much by WP Smush Pro that they are losing quality. This screenshot of image comparisons suggests that, because the image in the screenshot that was compressed using WP Smush Pro seems to be fuzzier and have more dark spots. See https://screencast.com/t/ALcwW6t3c. Can you help me figure out what's going on here?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Helen,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

There are two aspects related to images in WordPress in that case: one is the "native" way that WP handles images and the second one is WP Smush Pro optimization.

WP "native" way of handling images involves automated creation of multiple additional images based on an original one to suit different image dimensions that are later used on site. While that should not affect image quality "visibly", it's worth taking into account.

The second one is how WP Smush Pro optimization is set up. If your images are getting too "blurry" or of significantly decreased quality, please go to "Media -> WP Smush" page and make sure that "Super-smush my images" option is disabled. That option helps you achieve better optimization but it's also a compression that's lossy so in some cases it may not be desired.

You might also want to disable compression for certain image sizes by un-marking the checkbox next to that size on "Media -> WP Smush" page.

After that try re-uploading the image please and see if the quality gets decreased again or if it uploads fine.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.