Images missing after bulk smushing, esp. in Firefox

I bulk smushed all images and now some images aren't appearing. And it's worse in Firefox. For example, in this post 2 the first 2 images are grey boxes. In Chrome it's just the first image missing. In this post with several images, some images have just a grey box. More images are missing in Firefox than in Chrome. I've just checked posts randomly and discovered this. I just checked that page again and fewer images are missing but there are still some missing. Why is this happening?

• chuleenan

Hi, I just checked and see that those pages are now working after I reloaded them. So I clicked on another post (My Linen Deer and Doe Chardon Skirt) and there are images missing. I reload the page and then more images appear but still others are missing? Is something going on because I smushed the images? Here are the posts in Chrome - when I first loaded the page and then after I reloaded. In Firefox images are missing and a few are pixilated. :slight_frown:

OK - I just reloaded the page in Firefox and it looks fine but in Chrome the last image is just a fragment of the photo. I'll attach screenshot of that. [Oops sorry I uploaded the same image by mistake. I'll upload the correct one.]

• Luís

Hi chuleenan ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Honestly, I am not able to replicate your issue. I checked all the pages you mentioned and they displayed the images properly.

Also, I asked to one of my teammates to test this too and she got the same result.

As I mentioned in my previous reply, I am not sure if this can be some glitch in loading the page (maybe due to poor connection in that moment) or some cache/cookies issue.

Can you try this in other computer? Can you clean the browser cache and cookies?

If you have any browser add-on, can you try disable it?

Cheers, Luís

• chuleenan

Hi,
    It looks fine on my iphone 6. I just tried looking at this page on Chrome and some images were missing. Then I turned off all my browser extensions, cleared my history/cookies and got a few more images but the last one wasn't loading. I checked using Edge, Safari, and Firefox. Some images were still missing. Then I turned off the Hello Bar at the top. Now on Firefox, Safari, and Chrome and all images appear in this post. On Edge a few images are still missing but I notice that when the post is initially loading, I see a flash of the image and then it goes blank and then all I see is a square and the alt text for the image. Why is this happening? I don't use Edge so there was no history there.

I didn't have any image problems until I smushed my images. Should I deactivate WP Smush Pro? Not sure if that will do anything since I smushed all my current images. But should I deactivate it before I work on a new post?

• Luís

Hi chuleenan ,

You mentioned that after disabled Hello Bar, the issue was solved, so, it can be a conflict with this plugin. However, this seems to be a cache issue. Are you using any cache plugin? Your host provider uses any server side cache feature?

I didn't have any image problems until I smushed my images. Should I deactivate WP Smush Pro? Not sure if that will do anything since I smushed all my current images. But should I deactivate it before I work on a new post?

WP Smush Pro is a powerfull plugin, essencial in the site optimization to compress your images. I would like to suggest to don't disable it, but instead, try investigate what can be causing this.

Can you give us access to your admin panel, so we can examine it better and investigate this issue further?

If you don't already know, please, follow the link below, to see how enable the staff login:

http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

When you enable this option, please post again!

Cheers, Luís

• chuleenan

Hi- it looks like the Hello Bar is not the problem. It's still turned off and I was just using my phone to search my site and looked up this post on the Emery Dress - and several images are missing. I looked up the post on Chrome - same problem.

In Chrome, I clicked on the alt text and for some of the missing images, I got the message: "We cannot complete this request, remote data could not be fetched." Something happened to those images. I reload the page and a few more appear. I open an "incognito" window and a few more images appear but some are still missing. I reload that page, still images missing.

In Firefox, more of the images are there but two are missing. I open a private window and three images are missing. When I clicked on the first link (alt text in missing image) in the screenshot, I got the text that the data could not be fetched. These images were part of my bulk smush.

The new images I uploaded for a post I've been working on seem to be fine. They are appearing in preview. I think the problem is the bulk smushed images.

• Luís

Hi chuleenan ,

I access to your website and made some tests creating a post and uploading some images.

All the uploaded images are automatically smushed (you have this option enable: "Automatically smush my images on upload").

In all tests, the images were displayed properly, so I was unable to replicate.

I already pinged the developer to get their valuable feedback.

However, have you contacted your host provider, regarding to the server side cache?

Cheers, Luís

• Luís

Hi again chuleenan,

After spoke with the developer, the only thing that may be causing issues, could be the Photon extension of Jetpack.

If you face with this problem again, can you try disable this extension in Jetpack -> Settings -> Appearance?

However, let me share some notes about Photon, if you have this extension enabled and if there are a lot of old images, after install WP Smush and run a bulk smush, Photon will mostly server the old images itself and not the optimised ones, because Photon caches the images for lifetime (check the "Limitations" section):

https://jetpack.com/support/photon/

As I was not able to replicate the issue in your install, even creating a new post and uploading new images, it's a bit hard to find what can be causing this, so, my suggestion is disable the Photon Jetpack extension before add a new post and check if you get the same issue.

Cheers, Luís

• chuleenan

I contacted my host, they said cache was flushed automatically but they flushed while I was on phone. Then I checked this page Visual browse, in the nav bar and see that a few images are missing - all I see is the alt text. So host tells me to look at this page in Geopeeker, which shows how your site looks from other locations. A few images for the California window were not loading. So this problem is not limited to just my computer.

They recommended contacting my ISP and asking them to clear my local DNS cache. I called them (many minutes on hold) and they switched me to Google's DNS to see if problem still there. I cleared cache and tried it with Google's DNS. Still have the same problem on the Visual Browse page.

I will now try disabling the Photon extension.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.