Images not being pulled from rss

HI

I started using Autoblog I used the add image addon but it didn't pull the images across to be featured images. I added the add featured image plugin which enabled images to be featured from this feed.
http://feeds.feedburner.com/core77/blog

But when I set up the below feed the images appear black for that feed but the others are ok I'm assuming it the way the feed works from the Guardian but this there a way around this.
http://feeds.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/uk/rss

Also there is a no follow option on the original source link on the Autoblog plugin but how would I go about making the links canonical.

Thanks hope you can help.

Dave

• aecnu

Greetings Dave,

Thank you for this great question and bringing this significant issue to our attention.

I started using Autoblog I used the add image addon but it didn't pull the images across to be featured images. I added the add featured image plugin which enabled images to be featured from this feed.
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/core77/blog

Thank you for sharing this work around with other members!

But when I set up the below feed the images appear black for that feed but the others are ok I'm assuming it the way the feed works from the Guardian but this there a way around this.
    http://feeds.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/uk/rss

After checking the Guardians feed I found only one advertisement in the entire feed which was the only graphic/image.

There must be images in the feed to create images in your Autoblog posts.

Also there is a no follow option on the original source link on the Autoblog plugin but how would I go about making the links canonical.

I have no idea if it can be done at this level or not and would probably take considerable custom coding, but I honestly do not know.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• david_whitby

HI

After doing much digging would the below look like a possible solution. Also how would this be added to the tick box under the source link in the admin of autoblog.

Would it be a case of adding an extra line to

autoblogprocess.php in

/wp-content/plugins/autoblog/autoblogincludes/classes/autoblogprocess.php

838 $sourcecontent .= " rel='nofollow'";
    Add this line 839 $sourcecontent .= " rel=''canonical";

The issue is how do i get this to be present in the admin area. I had a look here
    wp-content/plugins/autoblog/autoblogincludes/classes/autoblogadmin.php

Inside autoblogadmin.php theres a section that looks like it could be used to add the canonical feature but is it and how to correctly add it, code starts at line 890.

`echo "<tr>";
    echo "<td valign='top' class='heading'>";
    echo __('Link to original source','autoblogtext');
    echo "</td>";
    echo "<td valign='top' class=''>";
    echo "<input type='text' name='abtble[source]' value='" . esc_attr(stripslashes($table['source'])) . "' class='long source field' />" . $this->_tips->add_tip( __('If you want to link back to original source, enter a phrase to use here.', 'autoblogtext') );
    echo "
    ";
    echo "<input type='checkbox' name='abtble[nofollow]' value='1' ";
    if($table['nofollow'] == '1') echo "checked='checked' ";
    echo "/> <span>" . __('Ensure this link is a nofollow one','autoblogtext') . "</span>";
    echo "</td>";
    echo "</tr>\n";

Would that get around any slap on wrist Google may dish out for autoblogging by adding canonical to the source link.

Some questions and bits hope you can help.

Dave

• david_whitby

HI

I tried the above and it seemed to work I added

in autoblogprocess.php

On line 839 $sourcecontent .= " rel='canonical'";

then in autoblogadmin.php

On line 900

echo "<input type='checkbox' name='abtble[canonical]' value='1' ";
    if($table['canonical'] == '1') echo "checked='checked' ";
    echo "/> <span>" . __('Ensure this link is a canonical one','autoblogtext') . "</span>";

Could you check it out for me just to double check it actually works.

Thanks

Dave

• aecnu

Greetings Dave,

Thank you for your additional input and sharing the coding with the WPMU Dev Community, it is certainly appreciated.

Not being a coder myself it would be improper for me to comment on the coding itself.

With that said, I also believe that if it works ... it works :slight_smile:

However, I will wait to see what the lead developers comment is to this coding after he has the chance to come in here and check it out rather then me adding any unqualified answers.

Sincerely, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.