Images not loading after mapping

Once the subsite has been mapped, the images aren't loading in the mapped domains. The images load fine when it's loaded via the original subsite domain.

At the moment, WordPress by default is using the /files, as it's image path, instead of /wp-content/uploads/. Maybe, that's causing the issue. It's one week old new WP install .

Please check the chat transcript for more details.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello claudia,

Can you provide me more information about your WordPress installation? Is this fresh WordPress install that was configured from the start to be MultiSite just week ago? Or it was existing single WordPress that was recently switched to Multisite? In the chat transcript there is information it is week old Multisite, but I have checked files in media and there are some files from May for subsite where the problem occurs.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• claudia

Hi Kasia, thanks for your reply. Below please find an explanation of what has happened so far with our installation. I think the overall process started back in May 2018.
    - We initially created a sample site (luxuriaboat.com) and wanted to setup a multisite and each of the sub-sites would be replicated like the sample site.
    - We installed a fresh new copy of WP (not enabling Multisite feature while installing) on mariuskoller.com, but that had some errors. Upon Godaddy's suggestion, we cleared everything and installed another instance of WP while checking the Multisite feature on during the installation. The network was created as a sub-directory instead of sub-domains.
    - So mariuskoller.com became the primary site (in the server it's setup under a sub-folder, not in the root directory itself).
    - We create a sub-site and replicated the sample site onto the sub-site manually.
    - We also created few other test sub-sites via NS cloner and WPMUdev cloner plugins, and each of those sub-sites cloned fine with all the contents, stylesheet, and functions working perfectly.
    - The issue occurs only when we tried to map a sub-site to a custom domain name. So, for example, we created a sub-site called 'http://mariuskoller.com/porche' and mapped it to 'http://porschedesigntowermia.com/'. Once it's mapped and this domain 'http://porschedesigntowermia.com/' is selected as the primary domain for the sub-site, the stylesheet and images are missing/not loaded.

So this is our setup so far. You colleague mentioned that he found the file locations being '/files' are a bit odd and old. However, I'm not entirely sure where things are going wrong. My initial guess was some form of permission issues. So I changed the folder location of 'http://porschedesigntowermia.com/' to the folder of the primary domain of this multisite in cPanel. But it didn't solve the issue.

Please let me know if you need further information from me.

Thanks for your support.

Regards.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello claudia,

I'm sorry for the delay on our side.
    According to all the steps you have made to create this Multisite there is no reason for it to use file structure for WordPress before 3.5 (this what was discovered during chat - that files are kept in wrong structure for this WP version).

Upon Godaddy's suggestion, we cleared everything and installed another instance of WP while checking the Multisite feature on during the installation. The network was created as a sub-directory instead of sub-domains.

Have you used any tool to install WordPress? Like installer available from the GoDaddy Panel? Or was it entirely a fresh, manual installation?
    If this was any of the hosting tools can you reach to them and ask why files are not kept as they should for WordPress current version (I have checked wp-config.php and htaccess files to see if there directories were changed, but everything looks correct there)

In the mean time our Second Line Support developers will be checking this issue on your site with Domain Mapping if there is way to make it work with the files in this way or it will need to be changed.

We will update you about our findings.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• claudia

Hi Kasia

Appreciate your reply. Yes, we installed the WP via GoDaddy's script installer named 'Installatron'. As mentioned before, we tried installing WP via manual process and then converting that to a multisite but that didn't work. We also tried to install WP (single install) via that application installer and later transform the single install into a multisite (by adding codes manually into the wp-config and htaccess files) but that didn't work either.

I've checked for plugin incompatibilities, conflicts, permalinks etc; but having no clue why the site's file url changes after it's been mapped.

We're looking forward to hearing back from you. Much appreciate!

• Konstantinos Xenos

Hi claudia !

Sorry for the late reply, we've been trying to find a workaround for you. Unfortunately there isn't enough room for us to work with the current situation as we can't support the older filesystem by default.

Let me explain:
    1] Your WordPress installation is using an older filesystem ( probably because of the auto-installation as mentioned above ). Unfortunately with the current server setups it's pretty much impossible to run a WordPress 3.4.2 that was the last version using the old multisite system so we can test it out.
    2] We saw that you're currently using a different mapping plugin ( that is actually older and has not been updated for a while as well ), so we didn't want to proceed on any changes as it would result into breaking your production site while we were working.
    3] Unfortunately the FTP access that you originally gave us is probably revoked as we couldn't further login to at least check for any errors.

What I can propose if you need further assistance is to:
    1] Setup our Domain Mapping plugin as you feel it's correct for you.
    2] Grant us full access ( following the instructions at the end of this post ).
    3] Backup everything before granting us access to be safe. We will keep a backup as well before we proceed to any testing/changes just in case.

If you're ok with the above mentioned then you can send the information needed privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question by following this example:

Subject: "Attn: Konstantinos Xenos"
    - Admin login:
    amin username
    admin password
    login url
    - FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)
    - cPanel / Plesk access
    username
    password
    login url
    - link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

Regards,
    Konstantinos

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.