Images Not Showing As Optimized

Hi there! So I installed WP Smush Pro. Spent several hours optimizing all 673 images that needed optimizing on my site. I've run my site through both Hummingbird and GTMetrix to test and my number one issue reported is still that my images aren't optimized. So it appears that none of the images have actually been optimized although WP Smush is saying they have been. Please let me know how to get this resolved ASAP.

Thank you!

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Jessica,

Site speed tests has two reports for image optimization.

1. Losslessly compressing - This one's is telling that image can be optimized and that's what smushing does.

2. Compressing and resizing - This shows that the images are resized via HTML and CSS

The second one is what's shown in your results and that's because your theme is loading images larger than it's HTML holder, for example 4486x1326 logo in header but the actual HTML holder of that image is 592x175px so the image is resized with CSS to fit in that holder.

Unfortunately this is not something Smush can deal with since the theme code is written in the way to call the larger image, and even though the image is compressed google doesn't like loading image larger than its holder, so this is something you need to check with the theme devs.

I can see some images needing compression pointed in google page speed so I would like to check how it looks in Smush. Would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Lindeni Mahlalela

Hello Jessica,

I have accessed your dashboard and had a look at the "WP Smush" report. Just like GTMetrix, "WP Smush" has a list of images that either need compressing and resizing. You have images that are larger than their HTML holder in the theme. So this makes the browser to resize those images in HTML or CSS and that affects the load speed.

Because themes usually register thumbnail sizes by using "add_image_size" function that you should be able to find in theme functions.php file. You can deal with the optimization in one of the following ways.

1. Edit those image sizes in your theme functions.php
    2. Register new image size and edit theme templates calling your new image size on those templates

In both cases I'd suggest creating a child theme just so your changes are not overriden by the next theme update. In either case I'd suggest contacting theme developers asking for advice on how to change this for that specific theme.

Also keep in mind that WordPress creates those thumbnails on image upload so once you make these changes in the code make sure to regenerate thumbnails so your new thumbnails can be created, easiest way to do that would be to use plugins such as this one: https://wordpress.org/plugins/regenerate-thumbnails/

I hope you find this helpful.

Cheers,
    Mahlamusa

• Rupok

Hi Jessica,

So sorry to hear this. We can try to do this on behalf of you but for doing that, I'll suggest you to create a complete backup of your site and database first so you can always revert back to current state if anything goes wrong.

After that, would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this and try to resize those images for you?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please confirm here when you are done granting Support Access. I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Lindeni Mahlalela

Hello Jessica,

I am sorry you were having trouble with your backups. I have also tried to create the backup for you but it went through the same problem again. I have noticed that as soon as I run the backup the memory usage gets high instantly.

This is uncommon and I think it is the cause why the backup won't complete, I think it is due to the high memory usage. I have noticed that the memory is set at 256M which is good in most cases.

As I was running the backup just when it was about to finish I got a server error like in the screenshot.

I think this is why the backup is having issues. In order for us to pin point the problem, would you please enable debugging and logging so that we can analyze the logs and see what the cause is.

To enable debug mode, open your wp-config.php file located in your root directory, and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

After making the above changes, please preform your transaction. If there's any issue, the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/ directory.

Once you are done with that, try to run the backup again if it runs to an error then login to your website's FTP and go to the folder /wp-content/ and get the file named 'debug.log' rename this file to 'debug.txt' and send it here with your reply and we will analize it and let you know what the problem is.

After all that, we will go back to optimizing your images when your site is fully backed up.

I hope you enjoy your day further.

Cheers,
    Mahlamusa

• Lindeni Mahlalela

Hello Jessica,

Would you please attach the debug file, I don't see it on your last post. Please send the file so we can have a look and see what causes the errors.

I see the errors are related to server configurations but we can confirm that once we have the log file. Please send that and we will analyze it and hopefully we will have details about the problem.

Looking forward to your reply.

Cheers,
    Mahlamusa

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Jessica,

There is no errors in that debug log for Spnapshot - could you confirm that you tried to make a Snapshot after enabling debug?
    If yes, then in debug there are two issues regarding WP Super Cache and Mojo marketplace. Can you try disabling both plugins and see if then it will work?

Aside from taking backups on your site (it is always good to have backup of site) we can check your theme another way. Could you please send in the following via our secure contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ :

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Kasia Swiderska
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

IMPORTANT: Please make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic, so it doesn't go back to the forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Please confirm here that you send those credentials

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Rupok

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for sending the details. I changed your theme code to add a new thumbnail size and use that thumbnail size for your homepage latest posts featured images section. Now GTMetrix is not showing any image resizing issue.

However, as I added a new thumbnail size, you will need to regenerate thumbnails for all images again. For doing this, I've installed and activated this plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/regenerate-thumbnails/). Now you need to go "Dashboard > Tools > Regen. Thumbnails" section and then click on the "Regenerate All Thumbnails" button and keep that page open until all thumbnails are regenerated.

I've regenerated a couple of images and now GTMetrix is not showing any image resizing issue. But it's showing some compressing related issue. As Smush has smushed all images on your site, this should be fixed already. But as errors are still being shown for compressing, I've pinged our developer regarding this as he can give us best idea. We will update you as soon as we get anything from him.

Please keep in mind, our developers work around the clock and they have to deal with lots of critical issues and other things. So it may take a little while for them to check this and provide his valuable feedback. I will appreciate your patience.

And regarding the Snapshot backup issue, as this is a completely different issue from the original issue of this thread, can you please open a new thread regarding your backup issue? Having a single thread for a single issue helps both you and us to track down steps taken already and facilitates the troubleshooting process. I hope you understand.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.