Implement Domain Mapping to replace my current solution

There are from 20 to 30 sites on my multisite network, I am using this plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/ to offer the domain mapping features, what I need to do is implement the domain mapping plugin from WPMU DEV so I was wondering what would be the process.

• Ash

Hello Steve

We have a nice article that might help you: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/domain-mapping-wordpress/

But still, let me simplify the procedure.

For example, your main site is network.com
    You have two subsites:
    1. one.network.com
    2. two.network.com
    These two subsites you want to map with following domains repectively:
    1. one.com
    2. two.com

So, if anyone enter one.com in the browser, it should show the site of one.network.com. Same for two.com

So, there are two scenarios now. Either you own all the domains, or you don't. First I think you own all the domains.

network.com site is hosted in a hosting whose nameservers are:
    ns1.networkhost.com
    ns2.networkhost.com

So, you have entered these nameservers for network.com domain panel. You have to set same nameservers for one.com and two.com domains too.

Then you will add one.com and two.com domains as parked domain in the same hosting of network.com, and make sure you point them to the network.com wordpress root folder. So that if any one enter one.com or two.com it shows network.com site.

After that, you will add the domains in corresponding subsites using domain panel plugin, and the mapped domain will start working.

Now, if you don't own the domains or can't host as parked domain, then you will need a dedicated IP. I know you won't have access to the domain panel of your customers so that you can't set name servers in there. So, you will pass them you IP and they need to set a DNS record for their domain and point to that IP. Only then domain panel will work.

Hope it helps Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash