import created new site in multisite

I imported an .xls spreadsheet with our members. I, apparently, had the site name in lower case while the actual site is in Uppercase letters. So now a new site has been created in which these users have all been imported as users.

Unfortunately, the site that I wanted them in, they are NOT listed as users although they are listed in the membership plugin users.

Is this the way it's supposed to work? If not, how can I move them out of cava and into CAVA?

• mort3n
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi pam_ivey,

Although I haven't used the plugin here's my two cents :slight_smile:

Perhaps you could
    1) Delete the erroneous users, ie. all those in cava
    2) Redo the Batch Create process with the correct info

An aside, perhaps check that you do have the correct info included in the spreadsheet for the plugin to do what you want. I believe it is possible to create new users without adding them to a site which would have them show up in Membership as you describe.

Surely, there are other ways.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Mort3n

• pam_ivey
    • Flash Drive

Unfortunately when I imported them, I didn't realize that all users would receive an email notifying them that they were added. This is unfortunate because we weren't planning to announce the new website just yet. So, almost 800 people received the email.

I tried to re-import them and they still didn't go under CAVA.

Now they are all listed under cava which is this URL: http://canadianava.org/wwwcanadianavaorg

I need them to be under CAVA which is simply http://canadianava.org

Is my only recourse to delete the users and start over?

Also I have to figure out how to delete the new site: cava

• mort3n
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi pam_ivey,

Sorry for your trouble.

According to the instructions found on the 'Usage' tab of the plugin page, users will receive en email with notification of their password. Diving into the code we could surely change this, but then a modification would be needed.

Is there some need to add all users before the site is ready to go live?

Deleting a site is in the Network Admin dashboard under Sites. Hover over the site you want to delete and click Delete.

I'm sure there are other ways, but deleting the erroneous users just seems an easy way to do it :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

Cheers
    Mort3n

• pam_ivey
    • Flash Drive

Yes, there is a need to add all the users before the site is ready because we have to manually input all the custom fields from our previous site for all 791 members. This will take some time.

I understand that deleting the users seems to make sense but I still have to get them back in without emailing them again.

I know that I am in way over my head here but I just don't know how to get the help that I need. I have hired, and paid for, three different developers from Odesk and they have not done anything except take my money. I'm running out of options and I don't know what else to do.

• pam_ivey
    • Flash Drive

I deleted the cava site (that was created when I did the original batch import) completely and that's fine.

Now I can see all the users when I login as Network admin but I can't see them under the actual site (that I've renamed CanadianAVA).

Is there a way to get those user into the actual site?

• pam_ivey
    • Flash Drive

When i click on the membership tab of CanadianAVA it says there are 791 users. When I click on 'all members' none are listed.
    When I click on 'Users' non are listed.
    When I am in as Network Admin, I can see them all.
    There must be a way to get them into the other site without re-entering everyone of them?

• mort3n
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi pam_ivey

I'm sure there are other ways than the ones I have suggested so far.

Since you plan to modify the information for each user

we have to manually input all the custom fields from our previous site

pasting emails into the Add existing users plugin seem a small step.

You could check the WP plugin repository for alternatives.

Have a nice weekend :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Mort3n

• mort3n
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi pam_ivey,

The modification below has not been tested!

Test with one user before testing with all.

Open the batch-create.php file in the plugin folder.

Go to line 350. It says

wp_new_user_notification( $user_id, $batch_create_user_pass );

Add two forward slashes in front of the above code. Now it says

//wp_new_user_notification( $user_id, $batch_create_user_pass );

Save.

This comments that line of code ie. it will not execute.

The result is that neither you as admin nor the user will be notified of the action. If your users don't have preset passwords, then they won't know their passwords.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Mort3n

• pam_ivey
    • Flash Drive

Thanks so much,

I am uploading my test file. Now I am getting the following error log:

2013-03-08 23:34:38 [debug] - --- Starting queue item processing ---
    Blog name: []
    User name: [elayne]
    2013-03-08 23:34:38 [debug] - User elayne does NOT exists. Creating a new user
    2013-03-08 23:34:39 [info] - User: elayne created!
    2013-03-08 23:34:39 [debug] - Blog title is empty! Blog will NOT be created
    2013-03-08 23:34:39 [debug] - There was no explicitly requested blogs; adding user to main blog
    2013-03-08 23:34:39 [debug] - --- Queue item processing finished ---

2013-03-08 23:34:40 [debug] - --- Starting queue item processing ---
    Blog name: []
    User name: []
    2013-03-08 23:34:40 [debug] - User does NOT exists. Creating a new user
    2013-03-08 23:34:40 [info] - There was an error creating a user
    2013-03-08 23:34:40 [debug] - Blog title is empty! Blog will NOT be created
    2013-03-08 23:34:40 [debug] - --- Queue item processing finished ---

• mort3n
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi pam_ivey,

Glad it worked out for you :slight_smile:

The error in the debug log seems to suggests that the plugin tried to process a line with no user information. This is not the result of the code modification.

I hope that, in contrast to your Odesk experiences, you are satisfied with the support here at WPMU DEV. From initial post to problem solved, including custom code modification in about 4 hours. At no extra cost.

Marking as resolved. Please feel free to reopen this thread if the issue reappears.

Have a nice weekend :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Mort3n

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.