Importing all from a category

Hi,

Using Autoblog to import posts from a category.
Posts have no tags, or specific words to use by post filtering part.

Usiing url feed as:
http://mysite.com/category/nameofcategory/feed

It has imported posts, but not the entire post. Also, featured picture was not imported.
I want to have entire post, inclusive layout and featured image.

Importing from main site to a subsite in a multisite environment.

Access is granted.

Cheers

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hey mpress,

Autoblog can only import full content if the feeds itself allows it, if entire content is not available within the feed there's not much autoblog can do unfortunately.

Also, featured picture was not imported.

Have you tried using different options for featured image settings or none of them works for you?

Since you're pulling posts from same network have you considered using Multisite Content Copier that will allow you to copy posts from one subsite to another?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• mpress
      • Code Wrangler

Edited.
      Hi Predrag Dubajic ,

Autoblog can only import full content if the feeds itself allows it, if entire content is not available within the feed there's not much autoblog can do unfortunately.

How can I check/define it?

Since you're pulling posts from same network have you considered using Multisite Content Copier that will allow you to copy posts from one subsite to another?

Does it copy it automatically after post is published by the main site?

Cheers

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hi mpress,

hope you're well today and don't mind jumping in here! :slight_smile:

How can I check/define it?

This actually has to do with the template that your theme uses for category listings. If you inspect the feed link then you should be able to see a <content> tag in <items>. This is the content which is being imported. If your theme template displays full post' content you can have the whole content in there, if it uses excerpts though, we will get this short version instead.

Does it copy it automatically after post is published by the main site?

Multisite Content Copier doesn't trigger automatically but you can easily clone your posts in another group of site(s) through the post editor screen as you may see here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multisite-content-copier/#product-usage

I have used this option:
    Find the first image within content of a feed item.

Have you used this prior this issue? So still images don't get imported? Or did you try this with success? Please advise! :slight_smile:
    This kind of issue still comes down to the actual markup of the feed link, so if no images are in <content> there's no image to import as featured image (like the first point in my reply). A workaround for that, could be to create a custom taxonomy page in order to use it's feed link instead. More info on this can be found in official WordPress documentation site https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/template-files-section/taxonomy-templates/.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello mpress!

using this feed

by category listing:
    excerpt for this post has less words than the imported post

So I still do not understand.

You are importing from the main site to the sub-site, is that right? The "imported post" link leads to your main site. Please check the sub-site and you'll find out that imported post has exactly the same content as an excerpt in a feed.

Also, the feed does not contain images so there's no option for Autoblog to fetch them. The bottom line is: the Autoblog is working fine there but to achieve what you want some changes would have to be made.

Excerpt vs full post

As Autoblog can only fetch what it has been provided with, in order to fetch full posts the feed should include full post content. Then the full content would be imported.

Featured image

The feed has to have featured image added into it. Then you will want to experiment with Autoblog's Featured Image settings to find out which one works. With image included in the feed Autoblog will be able to fetch it and post (as featured image also).

In order to achieve both of above you may want to give this plugin a try: it would let you add Featured Images to the WP feed and should also let you create a "Full text" feed via a special URL (you will need to replace the feed URL in autoblog).

I hope this would solve the issue here. Give it a try please and let me know if that works for you.

Best regards,
    Adam

• mpress
      • Code Wrangler

Hi Adam Czajczyk

You are importing from the main site to the sub-site, is that right? The "imported post" link leads to your main site.

Yes, I am importing from main site to subsite. The imported link is/should be this one:
      http://stjandedoper-vechtenvenen.nl/verrijzenisgemeenschap/de-kracht-van-uw-liefde/
      This is the subsite (verrijzenisgemeenschap). The Dutch names :slight_smile:

As Autoblog can only fetch what it has been provided with, in order to fetch full posts the feed should include full post content. Then the full content would be imported.

I do not know how to change it. Is there a way to import not from a category, but the post itself? o am I aleady doing this? sorry getting confused.

In order to achieve both of above you may want to give this plugin a try: it would let you add Featured Images to the WP feed and should also let you create a "Full text" feed via a special URL (you will need to replace the feed URL in autoblog).

I quite do not understand what you mean. this plugin = autoblog?

What I am trying to achieve is that some posts will be imported from the main site to the subsite.

Cheers!

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello mpress!

Yes, I am importing from main site to subsite. The imported link is/should be this one:
    http://stjandedoper-vechtenvenen.nl/verrijzenisgemeenschap/de-kracht-van-uw-liefde/
    This is the subsite (verrijzenisgemeenschap). The Dutch names

Yes. I noticed that when I accessed your site. The link in your previous post poins to the original post. This is fine - the content of the post (the imported link) contains exactly the same content as the feed contains. It works there as it should be working.

I do not know how to change it. Is there a way to import not from a category, but the post itself? o am I aleady doing this? sorry getting confused.

I'm sorry for making you confused. What I meant was that the feed that is imported must contain the full content of original post and must include information about featured image. Otherwise, Autoblog will not be able to import full content of original post and setup featured image.

The feed that you are using include only an excerpt (that was properly published on your sub-site) and doesn't include featured image. That has to be changed if you wish to import full posts and featured images.

Now, that being said, the last part of my replay suggested a way to achieve it. I just noticed that I accidentally didn't post a link to the plugin that I was referring to. So, by "this plugin" I mean this plugin:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/sb-rss-feed-plus/

This plugin should let you "fix the feed" so it would include full content of posts and information about featured images. Then Autoblog should be able to import them properly.

I hope that makes more sense now :slight_smile: I'm sorry for confusing you!

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.