Importing bbPress Forums, Topics & Replies

I have just imported my bbPress forums, topics and replies using Wordpress Importer.

I was given the message that the imports were successful, and if I go to each forum it tells me how many topics are in that forum, EXCEPT that none of them are there to read.

How do I retrieve my forum content please or put it where it belongs?
Support Access is granted.

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Mary,

I hope you are well today.

It looks as though you used the Admin -> Tools -> Forums -> Import Forums tool, and this is the correct way to do this. I see the issues you are having. In order to dig into this further, I'm going to need access to your server and the previous installation of bbpress.

Please visit the Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

Select "I have a different question" from the drop-down box.

Subject: "Attn: James Morris"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Database Settings for previous bbpress install
    Information about your previous forums database so that they can be converted.

- Hosting Control Panel Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Mary,

I've been digging into your forums issue and this is a pretty tricky matter. Basically, moving from one install of WordPress to a different one is no simple task. As you've seen, the native importers don't work well for this situation, and I've been unable to find a ready-made importer that will do this. bbPress doesn't use unique tables, so it's not quite as simple as importing some tables after the forums have been imported.

This leads me to this question: What's the difference between your old server and the new server? Is it primarily just design changes, or have you made considerable plugin/content changes on your new server?

I ask because it might be simpler to migrate the entire database from the old server to the new.

If this is not a possibility, I'm going to need to consult with our SLS team to see what other options we may have for you.

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Mary,

After speaking with our SLS team, the general consensus is that the best way to do this type of migration is to do a direct database transfer. Given the complexity of how the data is stored, this is not something that can be handled by the native importers. At least, not transferring a bbpress plugin install to another bbpress plugin install.

I understand why you'd rather not go this route because of the abandoned options left in your database can cause performance issues. A possible solution to this is to use a plugin like WP Clean Up Optimizer to clean up the old tables after performing the migration. This is the simplest method.

Another alternative is to attempt the migration using other scripts. Doing some research, the following was the most likely candidate for such a transfer I could find. However, the information is a bit old and may not work in your situation. Also, as noted in the thread, there's many steps to this process. But, it is an alternative. https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/migrating-from-one-bbpress-installation-to-another/

Another alternative would be to seek out a fellow member in the Jobs & Pros board and hire them to develop a custom solution for you.

Of course, if you would like, I could move this topic to the Web Development & Coding section of our member's forums. This would be a good topic for a crowdsourced solution.

Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.