Importing into MarketPress (Dec 2015 = No native importer)

Good morning, all!

I need to be able to import several thousand products from CSV into a new [upcoming] MarketPress installation. I've been informed that the current version of MarketPress cannot import from CSV, and that though past versions could, the import was a problem (presumably, that's why the feature was removed). Apparently, a new and functional import (from CSV) is coming back soon to MarketPress. So:

1. Any idea when this new/returning feature will be released?

2. Can anyone share details about what's wrong with the most recent importer?

3. Has anyone tried importing products with the last known working version (perhaps, if the imported products were simple enough for the importer to handle well), and then upgrade MarketPress to the current version?

4. Has anyone tried importing products directly via MySQL? If so, and if you have a script that works with WordPress 4.4 and the current MarketPress, would you share?

5. Any recommendations for plugins that are KNOWN to support MarketPress?

6. First import will be to the core/main site of a WordPress 4.4 MultiSite (with WPMUDev's Domain Mapping). Other sites in the network will have to get the same import, but not necessarily via CSV - WPMUDev's MultiSite Content Copier might actually be better in terms of workflow. Opinions?

BTW, the CSV in question is fairly simple (albeit long): No images are to be imported with the CSV (Instead, I'd like to import URL's to external images). Some products in the CSV have only one image URL (again, to an external source), and some have several, but none have zero.

TIA!
Gilad

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Gilad,

I hope you're well and thank you for your questions!

1. Any idea when this new/returning feature will be released?

As much as I'd love to, I'm not able to give you any ETA on this. There's some other important features, fixes and improvements coming up and although it would be possible to estimate coding completion date, there's also necessity to perform extensive tests (and code adjustments if needed) so we do not make any predictions on this.

2. Can anyone share details about what's wrong with the most recent importer?

It wasn't working as good as we'd expected it to work with previous MarketPress version but even despite this - it wouldn't be possible to directly include it into new MarketPress because the plugin has be written "from scratch". It features totally new code and quite different data scheme so "old" importer simply is not compatible.

3. Has anyone tried importing products with the last known working version (perhaps, if the imported products were simple enough for the importer to handle well), and then upgrade MarketPress to the current version?

This should be doable that way:

- import into the last release of an "old" MarketPress
    - upgrade to the first release of new MarketPress
    - then update MarketPress to current version

This process was performed many times when we release new MarketPress so it may work as a "workaround" here. However, please take into an account that it would be better to give this a try on a staging/dev site first and then troubleshoot all possible issues if necessary. Once you got it imported and working on staging site, you should be able to e.g. use our Snapshot plugin to backup entire install and then restore it to live site.

Please note though that this entire process is not an "official" way to manage products in MarketPress so I cannot guarantee that it will work 100% fine until an "import add-on" is released.

4. Has anyone tried importing products directly via MySQL? If so, and if you have a script that works with WordPress 4.4 and the current MarketPress, would you share?

I'm not aware of any members of our community that would try this. That said, if anyone did try this with success, please share your experience with us here and I'm sure it will help Gilad!

5. Any recommendations for plugins that are KNOWN to support MarketPress?

I'm not sure what exactly do you mean by "support MarketPress" here. Could you please elaborate on this a bit?

6. First import will be to the core/main site of a WordPress 4.4 MultiSite (with WPMUDev's Domain Mapping). Other sites in the network will have to get the same import, but not necessarily via CSV - WPMUDev's MultiSite Content Copier might actually be better in terms of workflow. Opinions?

Assuming you'd want to copy entire imported content to sub-sites, MultiSite Content Copier should be a good shot here :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Gilad

Thanks for the fast reply.

Your instructions for Number 3 (starting with older versions) may work for me, if I can figure out the rest of the required workflow. Thanks!

Regarding number 5 (the clarification you requested): I dropped part of the question, sorry. I meant to ask: "Any recommendations for CSV IMPORT plugins that are KNOWN to support MarketPress?". I did find mention of a couple in other support articles and via Google, but nothing that seemed to make most users happy...

Regarding MultiSite Content Copier: I was under the impression that I could use this plugin to copy parts of a site (or most), though not necessarily all, that I could add new single posts (or CPT's for products, etc) to the entire network from a single site, and that I could even update select existing content across the network (perhaps by overwriting existing posts/CPT'd/etc). Was I wrong about some or all of this?

Thanks again!
    Gilad

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Gilad,

Any recommendations for CSV IMPORT plugins that are KNOWN to support MarketPress?

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with any plugins that are confirmed by users that work with MP, if you do find some that works and share it here I would be happy to send you some thank you points :slight_smile:

Regarding MultiSite Content Copier: I was under the impression that I could use this plugin to copy parts of a site (or most), though not necessarily all, that I could add new single posts (or CPT's for products, etc) to the entire network from a single site, and that I could even update select existing content across the network (perhaps by overwriting existing posts/CPT'd/etc). Was I wrong about some or all of this?

MultiSite Content copier is used to copy content across network, copying from single site is not possible with this plugin.
    For transferring content from another installation you could try our Snapshot plugin: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/

For syncing content across network sub-sites you might want to try this plugin:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/threewp-broadcast/

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.