Importing Products to multiple categories

I have a customer with 30,000 mundane products that she’s pulled of ZenCart in a very flat file. No variations, all pretty simple stuff with unique SKUs, small descriptions and names. It’s actually quite a small file.

We need to import these either using a) the standard CSV importer b) using a third part CSV importer or c) a script that my developer will write to manage this. So far so good.

QUESTION: We need to attribute some products (about half; 15,000) to two categories. Any ideas how we can tackle this before we start the job?

PS – I assume MarketPress does handle 30,000+ products..?

Thanks in advance.

Callum.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

hiya

open your CSV in excel or librecalc whichever you use.

add a categories header ‘categories’

then select half of the products and enter a category name in the new column you just added.

if you set out your csv like the attached sample CSV for marketpress, you should get the idea.

you might be better splitting it into 3 or 4 seperate files though to import with.

hope this helps.

thanks.

• callummccormick
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hello Vaughan, thanks for your input to this.

I have a tiny little confusion.

Are you saying that all I need do is add a comma between the two data segments in the field named “categories” and MarketPress will accept it?

– Or

Do I import twice, once for the category_a (product) and again for category_b (product)..?

Good man, thanks in advance!

Callum.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.