Improved Media Handling: Association via attachments or post_meta

Is there a wmpudev plugin for awesome handling of media? I was thinking something like the free File Gallery (so that a user can see the associated images and re-order them) but better, b/c File Gallery is missing the ability to upload images, and pull existing images from the media gallery. File Gallery also 'attaches' the images to posts, and I am wondering if it wouldn't be easier to just save the attachment IDs as post meta. Do you have an opinion on that?

At one point I had started working on this, but had to put it aside for more pressing projects. Is this something similar in the wpmudev arsenal? Is a media plugin something you are pursuing?

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

Hello!

Try CustomPress plugin to help manage your media uploads.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custompress/

And from there; what i get on from google searches and others advising me is, it will come down to a personal choice on how to set it up. They will explain how it all works if you need them too, but only you can decide how to proceed from there.

Also try the NextGen Gallry plugin.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/nextgen-gallery/

I am currently working with both of these plugins, but have been distracted with other projects as well. I will be hitting this pretty hard starting Monday, so If you think they may help we can exchange notes of progress. I will be following this thread for other members/staff opinions as well.

Thanks kathy_darling!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings kathy,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

Is there a wmpudev plugin for awesome handling of media?

Though MTB1701 gave some very good suggestions, I thought I would share a couple with you as well.

Though you did not mention Buddy Press there is BuddyPress Activity Plus plugin
    With this plugin, adding photos, videos, and websites to your BuddyPress social network is quicker than ever!

In addition, I found Add Custom Fields to Media plugin to be interesting as well.

Hope this helps give you ideas or a great solution.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• kathy_darling
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks everyone. I thought I'd get notifications of new replies so I'm sorry for my tardniess.

Custom press looks like it is for setting up custom post types and taxonomies, no? i guess i will have to look closer to see how media management is effected.

Nextgen is a very solid plugin, but you can't use default the_post_thumbnail() functions on those images.... so I can't really use it the way I'd need to.

the add custom fields to media plugin is neat. i think i ran across it once before when a client wanted to create custom thumbnails for PDFs. there is a plugin that does that, but i think it is a very backwards way. I tried to approach it differently (an image as meta for a pdf would then be the pdf's icon) but ran into a wall in WP core for which I opened a ticket in trac
    http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/20205

@MTB1701 i'd love to exchange notes, but i can't work on this for a while. i'm in the middle of developing a theme framework based on Thematic.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.