Status Plugin- Questions on Media & Feedback

I did my first one using this plugin. :slight_smile:
http://www.cliffpaulick.com/blog/2012/msn-real-estate-9-tips-to-help-you-save-on-home-staging/

Questions/Requests:
1) Why is the imaged sourced instead of copied to my media gallery?
Image source is http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/Media/RE/330x198/f4/f44d41fa3de44f589cffaee6e77dd48f.jpg - if they move that image, take it down, or stop hotlinking, then my blog has no image.
2) Why is the image not included as the featured image?
My homepage is a list of posts with the featured images. This one doesn't have an image until you click into the post. Thus, it's not the featured image. In fact, if I go to edit the post, it's not even in the media gallery. I think it should be.
3) Why doesn't it pull in the page's title like Facebook? It pulls description text, but it puts the post title as "My quick status post".
4) What's the purpose of adding these custom fields: wdqs_posted = 1329927385 / wdqs_type = link
5) Can you add a category selection drop-down option to choose which category to post to?
6) Although different from Facebook, I think the link should be shown at the end of the Description section.

Thank you.

• Kimberly

Clifford,

Congrats on you successful use of the Status Plugin! I've checked out your page (stellar!) and am very impressed :slight_smile: I've never seen this plugin in use and your site is a great application and example. As I'm not very familiar with the plugin I tested it out and will try my best to answer your questions in line. So, here we go...

1) Why is the imaged sourced instead of copied to my media gallery?
    Image source is http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/Media/RE/330x198/f4/f44d41fa3de44f589cffaee6e77dd48f.jpg - if they move that image, take it down, or stop hotlinking, then my blog has no image.

The image is sourced because it was added as a link. It is not copied to your media library. Often times these sites pay for rights to display these images. If you are not sure that it is a free image then it's a chance you have to take. If you absolutely must have the picture regardless then you can always upload it in your media gallery to make sure it's always there.

2) Why is the image not included as the featured image?
    My homepage is a list of posts with the featured images. This one doesn't have an image until you click into the post. Thus, it's not the featured image. In fact, if I go to edit the post, it's not even in the media gallery. I think it should be.

I am attaching a pic of what I saw when visiting you homepage. I clicked through from your logo.

3) Why doesn't it pull in the page's title like Facebook? It pulls description text, but it puts the post title as "My quick status post".

I see the page title, as shown in my pic. However: See the pic I reference in ans for #5. The box at the top references your default title which you may see before it's published.

4) What's the purpose of adding these custom fields: wdqs_posted = 1329927385 / wdqs_type = link

are you adding them or are you seeing them somewhere? they look to be a description of your post type from looking at the notes on the Settings>status page

5) Can you add a category selection drop-down option to choose which category to post to?

I'm attaching another pic that shows where you can set your categories to be added to your posts automatically. You will also notice above it a note Use %s anywhere in your title to insert the post type (i.e. status, link, image, video)

6) Although different from Facebook, I think the link should be shown at the end of the Description section.

I'm not quite sure where this is...a post, the homepage link...please explain

OK. I think I've got them all!

I also think we could change the title of your thread so that others searching for information on this plugin can benefit from your questions. You've got some great ones :slight_smile: Thanks for the chance to help me get more familiar with this plugin!

Best Regards,

Kimberly

I'll go ahead and mark this as resolved since your questions seem to be more about the plugin operation and no technical issues. But please know I'll still be watching for your response and will be here to help with anything else you might need.

• Clifford P

@KimberlyL

Thanks for the thorough responses.
    (However, I didn't see the attachments you mentioned.)

Sorry I didn't update my post. I went in and edited the post to have it the way I wanted. I actually changed the things I was complaining about. Sorry I didn't leave it for you to see how it initially came from the Status plugin.

You can change the post title, as long as I stay subscribed.

1) I understand the image licensing concerns. In general, however, I'd say it's best practice to not source from another website's URL. And image src URLs have higher risk of going away nowadays with all the "cdn" and subdomain junk in the URLs.

2) Like I said, I did it manually.

3) Yes, before it's published, that's that title text. Then I click on that text and change it to whatever I want it to be, which I did. But that's not a needed step in Facebook's.

4) In my post writing panel, I have custom fields showing. I saw those fields there and wondered how the plugin interacted with them. Are they required? What happens if I change/delete them? I don't understand why they're there at all.

5) I understand the default post-to category can be set. I'm not talking about that. There should be a category selection box within the Status plugin's area.

6) See how I manually added the link/URL to the story I published from? That's what I want to happen automatically. Zemanta ( http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/zemanta/ ) does that under the images it pulls in.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.