In Membership 2

In Membership 2 I have a home page for rhtpoetry.com. I have a nav menu bar that includes a Log In link. When a visitor tries to log in using Safari, Google Chrome or Firefox they get a message saying "Safari can't find the server rhtpoetry.account" (or equivalent with the other browsers). I thought I was all set up to go live on the internet, but this is stopping me. This problem did not , to my knowledge, occur before. What has gone wrong?

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Robert,

I can confirm issue on your site - it looks like login form does redirect to wrong url. Can you check if you have enabled "Redirect Control" add-on and then what values are inserted in it settings (Membership 2 -> Settings -> Redirect)?
    Also please in Memebership 2 -> Settings -> General what page is added as account page.

If everything there is correct would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Robert

Hello Adam,

Thank you for your response. But isn't the normal direction after Login to the Account page? Did I need to do any redirecting at all? Maybe I should just cancel the Redirect, but I don't know how. I would really like to redirect to the "Memberhome" page, but only after Login. Specifically clicking on "Account/Logout" should always take a user there.

Now, when I click on Login (having logged out as an administrator in "Account/Logout") I fail and am informed that Safari can't find the server "rhtpoetry," but I suspect that's because, when I'm redirecting, the site should be identified as https://rhtpoetry.com. I'll try redirecting to "Memberhome" using that as my URL. I hope I can get all this working in the next day or two. Is this redirect likely to work?

Regards,

Robert Thompson

REGARDS,

• Robert

Hi again Adam,

Maybe I'm getting closer. Adding the .com to rhtpoetry in the Membership 2 Redirect function got me to MemberHome all right, but then I had to log in again to access Members' Intro and Pronunciation, and when I clicked on "Posts" I got the latest poem just fine, but also I got knocked out of the members' area and could only get back by going to "Log In" and logging in once more, when I was taken again to Memberhome and the cycle repeated. If I'm in the members' logged in area, why do these strange things happen?

Regards,

Robert Thompson

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Robert!

You are right about account. With no redirects enabled, a member would be by default taken to the "Account" page. In my answer I only addressed the error issue. I guess I should have been more specific, sorry about that!

I can see though that you managed to set the redirect to point to the "Memberhome" so that is fine. I visited your site and logged in using ("Adam") a member account. I was automatically taken to "Memberhome" page as expected. From there I clicked first on "Posts" (I could read the post there), then "Memberhome" again (page loaded fine), then "Pronunciation" (I could read that too) and back to "Memberhome"... At no point I was logged out or requested to log in again.

I'm not sure whether I'm missing something here or it's a matter of testing. I wasn't logged in as an administrator during tests. Instead I used a user account that I previously created and used a separate browser so I acted just like a regular member would do. Am I missing anything? I'm getting a bit confused, I admit, so let me know please :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Robert

Hello Adam,

I'm confused, too. What you describe sounds like just what I want, but it's not what happened to me. Am I ready to go live? I'll try again, but if the site doesn't operate consistently then I have to assume I'm not ready. I thought that having an initial start page for everybody without the ability to choose "Posts" until after logging in would increase security, but maybe I should have just stayed with the standard Membership 2 protection of "Sorry" messages. Live and learn, I guess.
    I also want to redirect to "MemberHome" only immediately after login, not when someone deliberately wants to go to the "Account" page. I'm not sure it really works that way. Maybe I'll have to abandon the redirecting. I'll check that now, along with the whole login procedure. Thank you for working with my site, and for reporting on what you found.

Regards,

Robert Thompson

• Robert

Hi again Adam,

When I went to rhtpoetry.com I found myself on the visitors' Start Page. Then I logged in as rhtpoetry with the password I use to access "Wordpress Dashboard" in my SiteGround hosting account, and found myself at "MemberHome." From then on everything was as I previously described. When I clicked on "Members' Intro," I got the "Protected Content" message and had to log in again. Then I did get the page I wanted. Same when I clicked on "Pronunciation." Same with clicking on "Account/Logout." except that I got redirected to "MemberHome," as I should have after just logging in. When I clicked on "Posts," I got the current poem without having to log in again, but found myself on the visitors' "Start Page" with only the options available to Everybody available to me. It worries me that I could still read the poem. It seems that anyone not logged in could then access older poems, but I couldn't check that because there are no older poems. It seems probable that the reason I am getting different results fro you is that I am recognized as an administrator (because of logging in as rhtpoetry). But it is worrisome. And is the redirection from "Account/Logout" working the way I want, i.e., it doesn't happen except immediately after login? I can't tell. Am I ready to go live? I think I'll have to get my friend, my one and only paid member, to test my system for me.

Regards,

Robert Thompson

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Robert!

Thanks for your replay, I think we might be getting somewhere now.

I checked the site again and compared user list with members list. There are currently four members and three of them are actually - me and two of my colleagues that were helping you. Fourth members is most likely you friend that you mentioned in your recent post.

The important part here is to understand the difference between a "user" and a "member": every "member" is a "user" but not every "user" is a "member". I realize that sounds a bit "twisted" so let me try to explain.

WordPress - that you use to run your site - allows visitors to your site to create their user accounts. These accounts are listed on "Users" page in your site's dashboard. This is the base.

The "Membership 2 Pro" plugin "adds up" to it. It does not keep a separate base of members (hence: every member is a user) but it also doesn't automatically "convert" every existing user account to a "member account" (hence: not every user is a member). In other words: while a "user" is every person that created a user account on your site, the "member" is a "special" kind of user.

It seems that you were testing it with an account of a "user" but not a "member". That would perfectly explain all the things that happened there - the issues that you were experiencing.

Based on this, I would say that the site and membership are working fine but you probably would want all users that register to become members instead of just "ordinary users". This will also work, just forget for a second about all the users (except your paid member friend) that already registered:

- each person that visits your site can only access some selected content currently
    - in order to access "more" content (e.g. "Pronunciation") they must register on site
    - in order to register they go to "Registration" page by clicking "Registration" link in menu, right? :slight_smile:
    - they are taken to this page: https://rhpoetry.com/memberships/
    - on this page they are given an option to join "RHTPoetryMembers" membership for $10; this is the only available option there so if they want to register, they need to choose it!
    - they click the "Signup" button and go through the registration form
    - the make the payemnt

At this point they become "members" (not just "ordinary users only") and the site works for them just like it worked for me, so - I think - as expected.

Now, if they abandon payment, they are still registered but the site works like it work for you. Why? Because they did not became "members" but only "users". This is something you cannot overcome in other way than just getting in touch with those users and asking them to complete abandoned payment. This is fine though and shouldn't happen often.

The "last part of the equation" would be those users that are already registered but are not members. There are two ways to deal with it: either leave it as is and once they reach protected page they'll be given a login form and registration link and when they click the "registration link" they will be able to sign up for a membership (meaning "upgrade their account to member") or just assign them membership manually. You can do this by going to the "Membership 2 -> Add Member" page in your site's dashboard and using "Select an existing WordPress user" form on the right.

I'm not sure if I explained that clearly enough but I tried to do my best. I hope that makes sense to you :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Robert

Hello Adam,

Thank you for your detailed reply discussing the difference between users and members. I have to say aI am still not entirely blear what this means for rhtpoetry.com.

If a "user" begins the register process but does not pay $10 and so does not complete the process, does he receive a Username and a password by which he can subsequently log in to reach "MemberHome"? He could therefore also reach "Posts," which are not pages, and which I cannot limit to "members" under the Membership 2 protection rules. I DO NOT WANT THIS. I want to restrict access to the posts only to paid members. This is a must. It is the reason I wanted a separate "Members-Only" area with its own navigation bar, so that non-paid persons could not even access the "Posts" option. I do not want to have to contact "semi-members"--I want everything to be set up automatically. If I can't do this with WordPress and Membership 2, then I'll have to go a different route.

I can see that this situation makes sense for setting up a free blog, but it does not work for what I want to do. If there is a way to absolutely restrict access to "Posts" to paid-up members only, then I'll be in business. Otherwise, not.

Regards,

Robert Thompson

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Robert,

If a "user" begins the register process but does not pay $10 and so does not complete the process, does he receive a Username and a password by which he can subsequently log in to reach "MemberHome"?

If visitor starts registration process but bails before payment he will be set as "user" on your site, however he will not get membership assigned and since MemberHome page is protected with the membership plugin he will not have access to that page.

However I see that your posts are not protected so they will be able to access those as they are not protected and are available to site visitors as well.

What you can do is go to Membership 2 > Add-ons and enable Category Protection add-on.
    After that you can protect your Poems category since your posts are added to that category and that way both visitors and users (without required membership) will not be able to access them.

Hope this helps and let us know if you have any followup questions about this.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.