In "membership" plugin, subscriptions are not associated with users even after money sent

I have perhaps the simplest case of membership: I just need a single page on my website to be for members' eyes only. It's $24. I set up PayPal Sandbox, the money is getting transferred successfully from one account to the other (I can see the balances changing in each) but then when the subscriber goes back to my site from PayPal, they still don't have access to the restricted page. In Membership, their name is not showing up as being a subscriber. The only place they show up is in the "Users" Admin section. Any ideas on what's going on? Let me know if you need to see any screenshots etc.
Thanks in advance.

• aecnu

Greetings draytond,

Sorry to see that you are having an issue with Membership on your WordPress installation.

I immediately see the problem and if I have said it once here in the forums I have said it a thousand times, PayPal Sandbox is erratic at best, test live - of course I am not saying i expected you to see that of course or already know it :slight_smile:

I am sure that though you were returned to the Membership by PayPal, an IPN was not sent because the sandbox does not send IPN's.

Please test live and let us know if the issue persists.

In addition, please make sure that your PayPal IPN is enabled and that some URL is in the URL box.

Please advise and looking forward to hearing form you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings draytond,

Thank you for the additional input which is appreciated.

Are there any payment gateways that provide good testing services, more reliable than Sandbox?

Not that I am aware of.

I'd prefer to do my testing locally before putting the content out in the wild.

This I admit I find humorous at how many people who have done this and then when they put it live it all hits the fan because it does not work the same.

It can be compared to building a raft in your swimming pool and then when it hits the open sea wondering why it broke all to pieces.

It is certain that your local install is not exactly the same as live, exact php version, exact MySQL version, exact same modules i.e. Perl etc.

Please do not get me wrong here, I am not harping on you, I am trying to teach you and show you the learned perspective of these actions.

Not relative to you but a good lesson to know ahead of time:

It is like all these folks that put caching on there sites WHILE the site is in development and wonder why they keep having issues over and over again, make changes and they don't see them - because they see this garbage written by some arm chair writer and think they need to have it and in the end they are just hurting themselves and having their heads played with by the cache.

Go live, test live, and lets see if it works live - that is what indeed counts and never cache Membership sites unless you want security holes. In addition, if it is live and you are having issues we can dig in and see what those issues are if need be :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.