In my site network, users are seeing other blogs in their mysites drop down. Please help.

Hello,

My users are assigned one blog each. They should be able to access their blog and my main blog. They are seeing other blogs in their “My Sites” drop down in the admin bar. Why?

I have gone through and deleted each user from each blog that they shouldn’t have access to. After this, I browsed my network to confirm that each user could only access their own site. It was fine.

I’ve logged in today to find the same problem. Please give me some ideas of what I can do to fix this.

Best regards,

Sonny

• sonnymanou
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks for this; I’ll check it out.

I think what I’m seeing here, is that each site is adding users from other sites. Would there be another reason for this? I’ve found myself being added to these sites willy nilly. Are you sure that this is a privacy thing? It doesn’t seem like logical behaviour.

Sonny.

• Mike Price
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Sonny is right, this is not a privacy issue and that plugin will do nothing to help the issue because if users are being added to those sites they will have access to the site regardless of the multisite privacy plugin.

Sonny, do you have a plugin such as Multisite User Management installed? or maybe Join my Multisite? It would be cool to see what plugins you have installed because that sounds like the likely culprit here.

Mike

• sonnymanou

Hello again, TT.

I have quite a list of plugins, of which only two might have this capability. Pro-Sites and Membership Premium. I don’t have the two that you mentioned. Could I have misconfigured Pro-Sites? I’ve just deactivated Membership Premium because I don’t need it yet.

Regarding Pro-Sites: if you know this plugin, what standard settings would you recommend? (Or perhaps this is another ticket?)

Thanks again, TT. I’ll return the favour one day, I mean, I should eventually get a handle on WordPress, shouldn’t I?

Sonny

• Mike Price

Hey there

That is really strange. I have never personally needed Pro Sites yet but I have played with it before on a test environment. But I dont recall any of the settings having anything to do with making users members on other sites in the network.

Is it a live site that I can sign up on? If so, whats the link? Would like to see what happens when I sign up.

• Mike Price

OH, I wonder if it has something to do with you setting up blogs for the users? I think I have seen similar behavior before. I highly recommend that you remove the site from test mode just long enough for you to test out the normal registration process as a fake user and see if it still happens to you.

It is always important to do this kind of testing because once the site is live, you probably won’t be the one adding blogs for users. Know what I mean?

• sonnymanou

One more thing. I have buddypress installed.

I’ve gone through and deleted usernames from sub-sites that shouldn’t be there. I’ve realised that every one of them was a “Participant”. I believe that this is a userrole that Buddypress creates am I wrong?

Here is a list of buddypress plugins that I have:

bbpress – activated

buddypress – activated

buddypress activity plus – activated

This is a buddypress setting that might be a bit suspect. It’s ticked, so it has me wondering:

Enable BuddyPress to WordPress profile syncing

I’m going offline now. Thanks for your help.

Sonny

• Mike Price

You know what I don’t have much experience with BuddyPress as I really dislike it to be honest. But I highly think you may be on to something and it is quite possible this is why users are becoming “participants” on other sites as this is definitely NOT a wordpress role

• sonnymanou

Hi,

I’ve looked through the buddypress plugins that I have installed and the settings too. I can’t see a setting that would cause this issue.

Once again, I see lots of users added to sites they shouldn’t have access to – all as “participants.”

Does anybody know what could be causing this?

Thank you.

Sonny.

• sonnymanou

I’ve done a bit more work on this. There is a setting that has been causing problems when installing buddypress. It needs to be toggled to “on” then “off”. Apparently, this fixes the problem.

Erm … No it doesn’t. FFS!

Below is a copy of the description of the problem that I’ve left on BBpress.org. I put a similar one on wordpress.org.

In the meantime: if somebody here knows what the problem is, please, pretty please, let me know so that I can move on with my life.

Thank you!

Sonny.

Hello,

I have a multi-site set up and a problem with users automatically being added to other blogs (sub-sites) on their network. Upon visiting a sub-site, the user gets assigned a “participant” role. This is then shown in their “My Sites” drop down in their Admin bar.

In the forum “settings”, there is a check box with this next to it:

Automatically assign default role to new, registered users upon visiting the site.

I have toggled this off and on several times, in the hope that it would fix my problem. It doesn’t.

Please help: why is my multi-site installation still adding users (“participants”:wink: to every sub-site they visit?

Thank you.

Sonny

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.