In Post Ads pulls images from wmpu.org

Hi,

I just thought I'd mention that after using In Post Ads that it references images on wpmu.org via http...this is a problem if your website is on https as Im sure you are aware.

So I decided to change the CSS but there is no way to simply choose your own styles. There are preset styles and you can strip the default styles but this strips the wdca_custom_ad class that you kinda need to write your own CSS.

I ended up changing the plugins stylesheet, adding the stars image locally and then renaming the version number of the plugin so I dont update it by accident and lose all the changes Ive made.

I also found the wording/language used in the plugins admin to be on the confusing side.

Oh and for some reason I couldnt get the auto insertion working but the shortcodes work.

Cheers

Neil

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Neil,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I just thought I'd mention that after using In Post Ads that it references images on wpmu.org via http...this is a problem if your website is on https as Im sure you are aware.

I'm a bit confused here. I just tested this on my site and I can see no images that would be added by plugin but I may be as well missing something here. Could you please point me in a right direction?

So I decided to change the CSS but there is no way to simply choose your own styles. There are preset styles and you can strip the default styles but this strips the wdca_custom_ad class that you kinda need to write your own CSS.

Currently, there's no in-built option for adding custom CSS styles indeed. However, you should be able to modify any of selected styles buy adding custom CSS rules for selected classes to your theme's style.css file or via Simple Custom CSS plugin.

I also found the wording/language used in the plugins admin to be on the confusing side.

If you could elaborate a bit on this (some examples with your explanation would be great), I would pass this info to our writers team for further consideration. Thanks for pointing this out.

Oh and for some reason I couldnt get the auto insertion working but the shortcodes work.

I think there would be two settings worth checking:

- if "Inject first ad after this many paragraphs" value is set to "0" then one of the options for "Predefined positions" has to be selected (unfortunately plugin doesn't force it)
    - in some cases (that depends mostly on your theme) it's necessary to change "Elements selector" tag which is "p" (paragraph) by default to e.g. div or span;

Best regards,
    Adam

• ThePath

Hi Adam,

I added the wpmu.org theme and there are stars at the top right of the injected ad. Check the url and you will see it. Conversely just look at the stylesheet for the wpmu.org styles.

Yeh adding custom CSS to your themes stylesheet is a messy way to do it. As you find that the use of !important has to be widely used and if the plugin changes its class names etc then your styling breaks.

The language used in the plugin is generally quite wordy and in some case overly complex. This is a bit of a confusing area which could be improved:

The plugin will auto-insert Ads into your Posts by default. Select additional post types here.
    Do not auto-inject into posts: Yes No
    These settings apply to auto-insertion only - you will still be able to insert the Ads using shortcodes.

Yeh I had the predefined positions selected. Cleared all my caches etc, but couldnt get it to show. Shows fine with the shortcode though. If the predefined option has to be sleected if 0 is in previous selection the the plugin should force this surely.

Cheers

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Neil!

I added the wpmu.org theme and there are stars at the top right of the injected ad. Check the url and you will see it. Conversely just look at the stylesheet for the wpmu.org styles.

You're right! I'm sorry, I missed that first time. I can confirm that those "stars" images are pulled out from our servers over "hardcoded" http:// connection. That would obviously cause "mixed content" security issues so I'm reporting this to plugin developer as a bug related to the security.

As for wording, I think you made a good point but cannot guarantee any changes here, although I'll of course suggest that to developer/writer.

As for placing ads. I checked this again on my own setup and it's working as expected for me. Therefore, I suppose there's either a small conflict with other plugins or with theme on your site or some specific settings are needed. I might take a closer look at this if you wish me to - in order to do this I'd need to access your site via our WPMU DEV Dashboard's support access that you may grant by following this guide:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello ThePath!

I might be able to fix it myself but as long as it works with a shortcode its not a big deal for me as its only on a wee blog.

That's understandable :slight_smile: In case you needed further assistance on this, just let me know please and I'll be glad to help.

As for the "stars issue". I haven't got feedback from developers yet but I'll let you know here when I got my response.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Young Security

Hi,
    I know this is kind of an old topic, but I would like to ellaborate on this one as the image does not exist anymore.
    Right now I am installing SSL on my domain, which is going splendid, but something is missing here.

I am also using the in ads module of wpmu dev, and I am also using the wpmu looks.
    From the css file it is trying to grab the image: http://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/themes/wpmuorg_august/images/stars.png (which does not exist anymore)

So I would like to know where I can grab this image from now, so I can edit the css file.
    Thanks.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Maximum Webdesign!

The thread is indeed quite old and I must admit that I was sure that this was fixed already. I just checked the "In Post Ads" plugin on my test site and I cannot fine those stars anywhere. I may be missing something though.

Could you please:

- point me to any page of your site where I could see this?
    - what version of the plugin are you using?

I'd like to double-check this in order to make sure whether this was fixed or if it still needs fixing.

As for the stars. The most reliable solution in my opinion would be to adjust that CSS to fetch these images from your server and replace them with your own "stars" image.

Looking forward for your replay,
    Adam

• Young Security

Hi Adam,

yes I indeed edited the .css file to open up my own stars right now, you can see the result here.

Anyway, I am using version 1.5.1 of the In Post Ads plug-in, I haven't received any update for this plug-in from WPMU dev so I guess this is the newest version.
    Also the file that still used this url was 'wdca-wpmu.css' which could be fount in /plugins/custom-ads/css.

Hope this helps a bit :wink:

• Dimitris

Hey there Maximum Webdesign,

I hope that you are well today and don't mind skipping in! :slight_smile:

I just inspected the plugin's code and I can confirm that this URL still exists in the file you mentioned: /custom-ads/css/wdca-wpmu.css
    I'll notify our SLS guys to take care about it, maybe a hotfix release will come up shortly, even though I can't provide any exact ETA on this.

For time being, I can see that you already have taken care of it, feel free to post back here if more assistance is required. :slight_smile:

Have a good one,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.