In regards to compressing the images on the website...I

In regards to compressing the images on the website...I am assuming this effects the original image...hence once it's compressed, you cannot go back to the original images you had on the site once it's done should you desire ?

Thank you.

• Tyler Postle

Hey btchadski,

Hope you're doing well today!

Yes, that is correct; however, it's worth noting that this is lossless compression. Which means it doesn't affect the actual quality or resolution of the image. It just removes unnecessary meta info, EXIF data, etc. which can make a big difference if there is a lot of it.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any further questions.

All the best,

• Umesh Kumar

Hi @btchadski,

Just to be more clear, while smushing images we only smush the additional sizes that are generated for usage in theme or site as those are the ones that are used in the site.

I don't want to make it sound complex here, but it might help someone else too, so I'll explain the whole scenario.

The original image( Full Size) is smushed in very few cases depending on site (If large size doesn't exist for that image). So if you want to get back to original images for some reason, that would require you to Regenerate Thumbnails, with auto smush turned off.

As a result all the smushed images are replaced back with the original images, but it might take some time , considering the number of images your website have.