In stalling WP Multisite with or without "www" prefix

I am not clear on the implication of installing WP multi-site with or without "www" prefix. On a single site installed this can be changed easily after the installing from the general settings. However this is not he case for the mulit-site installs in my understanding. In some of the hosts (like Site5 it seems that forces the install without prefix if I chose the install in subdomains.so my specific questions are:

1. Is it mandatory not to have "www" prefix for multi-sites install in subdomains?
2. What are the benefits/disadvantages to have/not to have "www" prefix in the primary URL
2. If a multi-site was installed in subdomains without "www" prefix can I change the primary URL to contain the prefix. If yes how can I do it?

Thanks in advance. Janos

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Janos,

From all I've seen, Multisite has trouble with the 'www' prefix and it's heavily encouraged not to use that prefix, but to keep your domain as the non-www version for Multisite usage.

I hear it's possible to use 'www' (I've not tried it myself with a sub-domain setup), but it's quite a hassle.

We really couldn't advise on that one as it's a bit much work that's likely to present conflicts.

Cheers,
    David

• MediaInk
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

David, in post 148774 you mentioned that you ran several site where only the main domain has the www prefix. How do you do that.
    I installed a multi-site to sub-domain without prefix. Thank I tried to add the www prefix in the wp-config file, but did not work, the site is still loading without prefix.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hiya MediaInk,

Sorry that I missed responding to your prior question. Yep, I've got a number of Multisites using the www prefix on the main domain but they're all sub-directory installations.

I wouldn't know how that works in sub-domain setups myself but have heard it's not an easy thing to work around, and in thinking through it, it just seems it would present a lot of possible conflicts.

It's not something we can provide assistance with, given the difficulties associated with it. I'll ask a couple of the guys over here though, if they've got any tips to help with that though.

-David

• MediaInk
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

The tread 148774 was talking about subdomain install with the aim keeping www prefix, thsi is why I brough it up again. My subdirectory installs have no problems with www prefix. On the otehr hand all of my subdomain isntalls are with no prefix.

I hope later versions of WP will fixed this. To sevel people not having the www prefix in the main domain is "unprofessional".

Janos

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.